Pamac's new look

There was a transition on how we visualize progress on 10.1.x series and how we had it on 10.0.x series. The consistency is not properly given and therefore some info might be hidden. I’m sure we will find a solution to address this in time …

Is either the progress is not shown at all when refreshing mirrors, or is shown only when there are pending tasks? Definitely talking about this is not nonsense.

Do we have an issue regarding the matter of inconsistency in visualization of progress in 10.1.x series or not? I only see some chatter of I see what you don't see here. For a developer it is pretty hard to see the tree in between the all fuss we have here in theses woods …

Seems Adwaita-dark is the only dark theme without the issue. Be interesting to see what that theme is doing differently

1 Like

That is what i wanted to clarify before opening an issue on gitlab. For now what we have is:

• the progress is not shown at all
  • the progress is shown only when there is a pending operation

is following a standard :slight_smile:

As far as I know @bogdancovaciu is the only one who has reported the inconsistency. All the other posts seem to report no progress bar at all. Hope that helps

So 1 theme is standard and the other 99 aren’t? That really makes sense. I’m only trying to help identify the issue

1 Like

Manjaro has its flaws, but pamac-gtk has become very awful and awkward. I have a Manjaro KDE with 150% scaling

What others mentioned here helped to find a way to reproduce the issue i did not had at first. Now i do not have that feedback when i Refresh mirrors, unless there is a pending operation (either install or remove something, or if there is an update)

Adwaita follows the libadwaita aka the Gnome design standards, all other themes try to avoid some things from it, and some limitations, and give more cosmetic touch-ups … not always that has the desired outcome.

Breeze GTK from KDE is not that bad, but it fails to proper address some widgets even on Inkscape and Gimp …

@vapespb as I’ve stated already: we are in the progress to make pamac mobile ready. libhandy might not work very well with Plasma. Maybe gtk4 might also not work smoothly with KDE. Therefore our working hours are focused on Gnome 3.38/40.1 and XFCE for now. Issues with Plasma, please report to our gitlab so we might track them and find a solution later. You’re now the third person posting about that matter …

Hi guys, I’ve spotted one more thing. In Third Party tab when you hover Build directory area it will highlight. I’ve checked also on 10.1.2-1on unstable branch, same thing.

Screenshot_2021-05-16_12-11-10

From what I’ve red to this point we sumarizing issues like last time, right?

Please open for each issue you might have a new issue. If possible add gifs or a description to reproduce it. Also post the exact version of Pamac you’re using.

Not much of gifs but hopefully those images will help

Created one more issue for “weirdPreferences menu behavior when Software Mode is enabled

3 Likes

That was always the case for GTK3 and GTK4

This problem was not present with Pamac previous versions which used GTK3.

Currently we are in progress to make Pamac ready for the Mobile Phones

The whole app design was butchered for the sake of small mobile devices (small market usage), instead of making it more easy to use for desktop and laptop users.

3 Likes

Including my vote, I deduce from this thread a majority rejection for the new pamac UI. Please let us see this as a democratic vote and the message should be clear. Whether this is a due to Manjaro Mobile nor because there is only one developer working on Pamac - it doesn’t change the majority criticism of this problem.

Supporting Plasma with this v10.1.x series is currently secondary, as we first have to finalize the Gnome 40.1 ports

I think Plasma is the most used desktop on Manjaro and need to be addressed first.

2 Likes

Please provide a source for that statement.

What you think and what is factual, can be very different. :wink:

I also use Plasma, so I would like to see that have great support, but I understand if XFCE and Gnome has first priority, because they are GTK based desktop, and should therefore look good with a GTK based application.

2 Likes

I saw many polls on reddit and some websites that show KDE is the most used one.

1 Like