Pamac takes 30 seconds to load

The standard package is pamac-gtk which is GTK4.

Is it always 30 seconds and exactly 30 seconds?

Can you run pamac-manager from the terminal, it will show some messages what’s loading.

For me, it takes also a few seconds during the “refreshing flathub appstream data” progress.

I see, yes, of course! :man_facepalming:. Then the comments from @megavolt seem worth investigating seeing that XFCE is still a derivative of (built with) GTK3 at the time of writing. Cheers.

The proper package would be xdg-desktop-portal-gtk.

1 Like

@dmt

…and you’d be correct, I suppose. I copy/pasted xdg-desktop-portal-gnome from the @ben75 post for convenience, without giving much thought to it. Cheers.

xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

• that’s installed, yes. (not the git nor the noprompt)

Is it slow via your terminal

• good point. No, two or three seconds for “pamac checkupdates”.

Is there actually a pamac-gtk4

• There are two pamac packages installed: pamac-cli and pamac-gtk (GTK4). Also libpamac and libpamac-flatpack-plugin.

always 30 seconds

• not exactly but always lengthy.

pamac-manager

• same-ish time, no messages while loading.

xdg-desktop-portal-gtk

• installed.

Then install xdg-desktop-portal-gtk instead.

The ‘-gnome’ portion was effectively a typo; @dmt has given the likely correct version xdg-desktop-portal-gtk – which, as far as I can determine, is available only as a flatpak installation at this time.

Additionally, scroll up to the @megavolt comments about using pamac-gtk3 instead of gtk4 (XFCE uses GTK3 heavily):

Cheers.

It’s the first one in the list, so when people install something that requires it they often end up with this, as they don’t check which they need.

Nope.

pacman -Ss xdg-desktop-portal

install xdg-desktop-portal-gtk

• it already is.

You can’t install both. So which one is it?

Also, pamac on the terminal and the GUI application are two different and independent programs.

1 Like

An aha moment – it’s in extra-testing as we speak: xdg-desktop-portal-gtk 1.14.1-3.

xdg-desktop-portal-gnome and xdg-desktop-portal-gtk are both installed.

Then uninstall xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.

1 Like

Uninstall xdg-desktop-portal-gnome and reboot.

See if you still experience the issue. If so, uninstall pamac-gtk:

sudo pacman -R pamac-gtk

…and install pamac-gtk3;

sudo pacman -S pamac-gtk3

…then see if that changes things.

Note:- It’s probably not wise to attempt using ‘pamac’ to uninstall/install ‘pamac’, so make sure you use ‘pacman’ as shown (or install ‘yay’ if needed, which uses similar syntax to ‘pacman’, in the terminal, only without having to use ‘sudo’). Cheers.

1 Like

pamac and pamac-manager are two different and independent programs. You can safely use pamac to uninstall the GUI.

Yes. pamac-cli vs. the gui’s. I could have been more thorough, thanks.

This might possibly be related:

That did the trick! In fact, pamac loaded immediately even before reboot. And no longer lots of journal messages.

The question (probably un-answerable) is: how did both get installed in the first place? Although this installation is several yeas old so gtk3 may have beeen the original and been badly superceded.

Many thans to all who replied here. Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome. Although, please note that it was actually @dmt who instructed you to uninstall xdg-desktop-portal-gnome – twice – and @mithrial who mentioned they should not both be installed.

My contribution was only to summarize the process. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.