Pamac-qt broken dependency pamac-common < 9.6.0

I’m not a Manjaro developer so I hope using this section is okay, it seems like the place to report those things. I asked where to report broken packages on Discord but no one replied… since I’m seeing similar threads here I’ll post mine as well.

I tried installing the qt version of Pamac since I use KDE. pamac-qt fails to install due to a broken dependency in the packaging: It seems to want pamac-common 9.6.0 or less, however pamac-common is now at version 10.0.5. Official repositories only, AUR not enabled. Here is the log:

[mircea@linux-qz0r ~]$ sudo pacman -S pamac-qt
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "pamac-common<9.6.0", a dependency of "pamac-qt"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      pamac-qt

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N] 
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'pamac-common<9.6.0' required by pamac-qt
1 Like

I use KDE and stick to the flagship version of Pamac. Is there any particular reason you wanted to use pamac-qt? I don’t believe it’s been updated in over 7 months?

Post from November 1, 2020:

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of that. Just wanted to try it as it’s qt and that generally sits better with KDE. The original Pamac works fine… except it somehow forces a different window manager / theme (not kwin) which makes it look weird, admittedly that’s what I was hoping to resolve.

I believe because it’s running with root privileges it’s not reading your user’s theme config files. (I noticed the same thing too.)

I feel you about wanting native Qt apps under KDE, but in this day and age, the field is quite diverse with a mix of toolkits, most predominantly GTK and Qt. Out of the box, however, your Qt and GTK apps will adopt your KDE theme as closely as possible.

Pamac QT is still a Work In Progress. It’s not meant yet to replace classic GTK Pamac.

Moreover if I remember well, the developer had more urgent to-do lists. There were some significant work in Manjaro development these past few months, especially with ARM.

See it now as a showcase/alpha version. But expect bugs that will stick for a while.

There hasn’t been a commit for pamac-qt since August 2020

1 Like

No it is not run as root, just that it uses GTK so you need to have matching themes for QT/KDE and GTK. I personally use the Materia themes for KDE (available in official repos, as well as the matching GTK version of it), with the Papirus icon theme. It looks pretty good IMHO.

Click to see:

Left side = KDE / QT apps
Right side = GTK apps

Whoops, you’re right! I now realize I was thinking about Timeshift. Timeshift doesn’t honor my theme (unlike other GTK apps), and I think it’s because you run it with root privilegees. Every time I launch Timeshift, it always prompts for my root password.

I use multiple GTK applications in KDE. None of them change the window style, GTK only applies to the application contents. It’s weird that Pamac is the only one to do this… well not the only one, for instance Lutris does it too but as a general rule it’s extremely rare.

Here’s a screenshot comparing Pamac and Audacious, just so folks can see what I mean. Both are GTK apps… Audacious uses the transparent KWin style, but Pacman uses a weird opaque window with different icons. Pamac has tabs in the titlebar so I guess that might be related?

Audacious is a QT app. Your themes are not matching as I explained.

Ah… wasn’t aware they changed it. But it’s the same thing: Geany is definitely GTK, as are Firefox and Thunderbird… they all use KWin to render the window accordingly. In the end this isn’t a really big deal, but now I’m curious why Pamac and few others use this unique window style instead.

Doesn’t matter, KHamburgerMenu will be a thing very soon

I believe Pamac uses client-side decorations (CSD).

That would explain it. I looked for an option to disable it but I guess Pamac doesn’t offer one. It’s all good, it doesn’t break anything or bother me too much… just imagined Pamac-QT would fix that and look more consistent or something :stuck_out_tongue:

Pamac-Qt is pretty much frozen. Use GTK version now, I’ve created a nice pamac-tray-icon-plasma for it

1 Like

You can install the package gtk3-nocsd to kill client-side decorations used on GTK apps. Logout and then log back in for it to take effect.

CSD has been one of my biggest annoyances on desktop Linux. Not only does it break any consistent look and feel between applications that should be using the same window manager decoration, but it also violates Fitt’s Law on many programs (such as when trying to throw your mouse cursor to the top-right corner to click on the [X] to close the maximized window.)

EDIT: Go ahead and try this now before installing gtk3-nocsd:

1. Logout
  2. Login
  3. Click the tray icon to bring up Pamac
  4. Throw your mouse cursor to the top right corner of the screen to quickly close the window
  5. Notice there’s a tiny “gap” of dead space, and it requires you to precisely land the mouse cursor over the [X] to close the window?

(This violation of Fitt’s Law also happens under Xfce, so it lies in Pamac’s use of client-side decorations. Another program that suffers from this is Vivaldi under Linux.)

But now install gtk3-nocsd, logout, login, and behold how much better Pamac behaves and looks. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, that solves it and gets Pamac looking just right! It would be nice if there was a mainstream option to disable this without requiring a hack; Most of us want the look and feel to stay consistent after all, CSD’s have their use but should not be abused as often :slight_smile:

If it’s any consolation, it used to only be available on the AUR, slowly gaining more and more votes until it finally made it into the Official Repositories. So in a sense the “people have voted” and succeeded. :v:

Oh, and also, your sentiments are reflected by the developers of gtk3-nocsd:

"Since Gtk+ 3.10, its developers added a so-called header bar or custom title bar. With this and the client-side decoration, the original title bar and window border provided by the window manager are disabled by Gtk+.

Unfortunately, the Gtk+ developers decided to be against the existing standards and provide “no option” to turn it off.

Luckily, with gtk3-nocsd, we still have a way to (partially) turn it off. Window manager (title bar and window border) can be re-enabled."

1 Like

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=170864
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=435706

Not sure if anything will come out of me posting about this, I’m sure many users requested it over time. It would be awesome if the KDE team finally added the ability to draw application content in the KWin titlebar. This way we’ll no longer need CSD… except if an application really wants to draw its own window for style, but not because the default window manager can’t handle custom items in the titlebar.