Pamac gui is using too much memory,

Pamac GUI is using a huge chunk of memory… I have 4(3.7 available) gigs installed and just installing one 87kb package(pulse audio equaliser) took up 2 gigs? I believe theres some bug

just opening and navigating to the updates tab spikes the mem usage over 900mb…

I’m pretty sure this is a bug…
This kinda memory usage is crashing my PC if I open Pamac gui while i have chrome open with a couple of tabs…

I have seen cases of it using over 8 gigs on some other posts…
Could the devs please look into this.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.90.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.15.16-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 3.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 4000

chrome is what’s really eating your memory and potentially crashing your system if you run out of virtual memory ─ i.e. RAM + swap.

pamac-gui itself doesn’t use all that much memory, but it’s a GUI and it will of course need a certain amount of memory for showing you the list of available packages, and for downloading, decompressing and installing whatever package. However, most of that will be freed up again after you close it.

https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Can confirm. Chrome is a hungry beast of a baby. Just checked, my pamac doesn’t use that much:

I think this has to do with the newly added AUR support. There is a issue available. I guess handling the downloaded databases is done inefficiently.

I checked Pamac that uses about 900 MB when clicking “refresh databases”.

Checked again just now, even had an update to Chromium that installed. Neveer went above 135MB of usage.

:man_shrugging:

when I open pamac its on 120M
after clicking Installed went to 558M
after refreshing database it went to 936M
refreshing second time resulted in 1.14 G
refreshing third time resulted in 1.23 G

1 Like

OK, mine was very much the same with that procedure. And that leads me to wonder just how many applications @op has installed…?

I get 100M normally when refreshing database and 550M with AUR enabled. So as suggested by @mithrial this has something to do with AUR only. Bad part is it stays at 550 even after that is done.

My guess too, maybe too many recursions like heavy tree because of bad algorithm in Pamac?

tbh it’s like there is more than one memory problem

I installed Manjaro on a low power, low ram machine over the weekend.When updating with pamac the computer freeze, now I know why.

1 Like

I’m actually on a recent minimal install, so I don’t think I have that many applications installed.

pamac list --installed | wc -l

shows 1150 out of which, 5 are from AUR
is it normal to have 1150 packages? or is it a bit too many?

Recently it puts an 8.9mb, compressed file in /var/tmp/pamac-build-user name, packages-meta-ext-v1.json.gz Does anybody know what that is all about?

It’s the AUR database so that you can search in it locally without querying the AUR API (and get blocked for to many requests).

2 Likes

I had the same issue on a virtual machine, when I was updating an AUR package with Pamac while I was browsing with Firefox. The virtual machine got frozen.

When I update or install new packages and no browser is open, I don’t have any issue.