Pamac Auth fails

Since the last update of pamac nothing works, every time I want to install or remove packages the authentication seems to fail. This can not be and I can not find a solution.

I just can’t find a solution even the suggestions here in the forum don’t help me. Every time I want to update, remove or install something from the AUR via pamac it reports an authentication error, this should not happen!

Hello,

Is not happening on any of my installs, native or VM, hence we should start with your install. Have you reboot the system after the update?
Does the CLI work, aka from terminal?
pamac install <package_name>
pamac remove <package_name>

Since is using polkit care to share
systemctl status polkit

Hi,
When I got authentication issues with pacman I update /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist using pacman-mirrors command. After I update using sudo pacman -Syyu and it solve the problem.

You can see help of the command to adjust parameters. I use :

sudo pacman-mirrors --country Switzerland,Germany,Netherlands --api --protocol https --set-branch stable

Regards

Yes, yes & yes!
The polkit is fine, the CLI pamac can’t execute while the auth problem.

Can you be more specific? What error are you getting when you try pamac in console?

Can you check that you have the latest version installed? pacman -Qs pamac and check that version of all pamac packages is at least 10.0.2

I check all this but nothing solved. Mirrors are OK and worked, Update of all repos are OK. Nothing changed ore happen with the auth problem.

Yes is pamac 10.0.2 since this version ist the auth broke.I have only the msg, the auth don’t work and the execution is failed. not more information, sry.

German output:

Vorbereitung...
Klone brave Build-Dateien...
Überprüfe brave Abhängigkeiten...
Klone zotero Build-Dateien...
Überprüfe zotero Abhängigkeiten...
Klone luxcorerender Build-Dateien...
Überprüfe luxcorerender Abhängigkeiten...
Klone python2-xcb-proto Build-Dateien...
Überprüfe python2-xcb-proto Abhängigkeiten...
Authentifizierung fehlgeschlagen

You can prepend a command with env LANG=C to make the output show in english. For example: env LANG=C pacman -Qs pamac

Can you also show what command are you running?

pamac update -a

When I run that command a KDE window open asking for my password. What Desktop Environment are you using? What happens if you try it in a pure text environment (CTRL-Alt-F2)?

By the way, for the ones that don’t understand german (like me), this is the output in english that @KubikPixel get from the command pamac update -a (via Google translate):

Preparation...
Clones good build files ...
Check good dependencies ...
Clones zotero build files ...
Check zotero dependencies ...
Clones of luxcorerender build files ...
Check luxcorerender dependencies ...
Clones python2-xcb-proto build files ...
Check python2-xcb-proto dependencies ...
Authentification failed
1 Like

Sorry but on my system don’t work lang=C the output is also in German.
I think my problems a bit unique and strange, I never read it about before.

What about the desktop environment question and try in a text console?

You can also check the logs for possible errors/information: sudo journalctl -b
Execute the pamac command and check the logs right after that.

1 Like

I work on i3 and text console all the time.

No pamac logs!

Yeah, but I mean a text terminal (tty), no graphical environment terminal. You can access a text terminal with the keyboard shortcut CTRL-ALT-F2

And anything from polkit? When I run the pamac command, I get polkit logs

Does authentication work with pamac GUI? If so what’s your polkit authentication agent in i3?

it seems i have the same issue:

$ pamac install wev
Warning: wev is only available from AUR
Preparing...
Cloning wev build files...
Checking wev dependencies...
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

To build (1):
  wev  1.0.0-4    AUR

Edit build files : [e]
Apply transaction ? [e/y/N] y

Error: Authentication failed

pamac versions installed:

$ pacman -Qs pamac
local/pamac-cli 10.0.2-1
    A Package Manager based on libalpm with AUR and Appstream support
local/pamac-common 10.0.2-1
local/pamac-gtk 10.0.2-1

and from journalctl:

dbus-daemon[597]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.manjaro.pamac.daemon' unit='pamac-daemon.service' requested by ':1.239' (uid=1000 pid=7865 comm="pamac install wev ")
systemd[1]: Starting Pamac Daemon...
dbus-daemon[597]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.manjaro.pamac.daemon'
systemd[1]: Started Pamac Daemon.
audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=pamac-daemon comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'
kernel: audit: type=1130 audit(1608811531.365:163): pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=pamac-daemon comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'
systemd[1]: pamac-daemon.service: Succeeded.
audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=pamac-daemon comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'
kernel: audit: type=1131 audit(1608811534.825:164): pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=pamac-daemon comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'

also adding polkit status:

$ systemctl status polkit
● polkit.service - Authorization Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/polkit.service; static)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2020-12-24 12:44:14 CET; 38min ago
       Docs: man:polkit(8)
   Main PID: 601 (polkitd)
      Tasks: 12 (limit: 19057)
     Memory: 21.8M
     CGroup: /system.slice/polkit.service
             └─601 /usr/lib/polkit-1/polkitd --no-debug

systemd[1]: Starting Authorization Manager...
polkitd[601]: Started polkitd version 0.118
polkitd[601]: Loading rules from directory /etc/polkit-1/rules.d
polkitd[601]: Loading rules from directory /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d
polkitd[601]: Finished loading, compiling and executing 9 rules
systemd[1]: Started Authorization Manager.
polkitd[601]: Acquired the name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 on the system bus
polkitd[601]: Registered Authentication Agent for unix-session:1 (system bus name :1.24 [/usr/bin/gnome-shell], object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8)
polkitd[601]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-session:1 (system bus name :1.24, object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8) (disconnected from bus)

Can your give your answers to my previous questions?

I’ve got the same issue. One one XFCE Manjaro install I have here, a graphical loging screen appears. On another, running in dwm, next to an XFCE install I only get "Authentication failed’ unless I use sudo. The graphical interface has the same problem. Polkit seems to be running fine.
edit: If I log in on XFCE, it seems to work as I get a big popup to type in my password. Is it not possible to bring back the commandline way of typing your password?