Pacman -Syu failed on Raspberry Pi

Hello, every few weeks I SSH into my Pi and run pacman -Syu. It’s never had a problem updating before, but this time it says the following. I have not installed anything… I basically don’t touch the Pi except to update it every now and then.

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
rpi4-post-install: /etc/udev/rules.d/99-vcio-rewrite.rules exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

What can I do?

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Pacman_troubleshooting#Conflicting_files_-_FILENAME_exists_in_filesystem

Cscs, I tried following the guide there and I received:

pacman -Qq /etc/udev/rules.d/99-vcio-rewrite.rules
error: package '/etc/udev/rules.d/99-vcio-rewrite.rules' was not found
warning: '/etc/udev/rules.d/99-vcio-rewrite.rules' is a file, you might want to use -p/--file.

I also rebooted. Same issue. I tried, the Option 1 Basic Resolution steps. There was no difference.

I also tried the Option 2 Comprehensive Resolution steps. sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys had an error for almost everything.

gpg: error retrieving 'dan@master-key.archlinux.org' via WKD: No data
gpg: error reading key: No data
gpg: refreshing 1 key from hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key A04F9397CDFD6BB0: "Dan McGee (Arch Linux Master Key) <dan@master-key.archlinux.org>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:              unchanged: 1
gpg: error retrieving 'ionut@master-key.archlinux.org' via WKD: No data
gpg: key 7EFD567D4C7EA887: 1 signature not checked due to a missing key
gpg: key 7EFD567D4C7EA887: "Ionut Biru (Arch Linux Master Key) <ionut@master-key.archlinux.org>" not changed
gpg: error retrieving 'thomas@master-key.archlinux.org' via WKD: No data
gpg: key 5184252D824B18E8: 4 signatures not checked due to missing keys
gpg: key 5184252D824B18E8: "Thomas Bächler (Arch Linux Master Key) <thomas@master-key.archlinux.org>" not changed

I snipped it because it goes on and on like this.

Why are you messing with keys?
The link above goes to section “Conflicting files - FILENAME exists in filesystem”, which is the only section that pertains to you.

The point is … why do you have the file?
It isnt being tracked by any package … but a package wants to put a file there.
You may inspect your existing file in a number of ways.
Eventually, you may decide to backup or delete the file, then move on with your package installation.

So … did you remove the file ? If you did I am at a loss as to how you still have the error.

rpi4-post-install file conflict
Raspberry Pi 4 users might see an error like this:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
rpi4-post-install: /etc/udev/rules.d/99-vcio-rewrite.rules exists in filesystem

The reason is that previously we added this file to fix a few issues, but it was not owned by any package. So with this update, we switched it to be owned by rpi4-post-install, which results in this file conflict.
Workaround: Run sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/99-vcio-rewrite.rules.

An x86-64 user here.

Nope :slight_smile:
Wiki tells:

pacman -Qo

You posted:

Please do not so hurry: 2 sings of it: you can find that solution by yourself, you were very fast in reading/typing carefully. Some time ago when I was in a hurry with Linux I messed up with items in list and deleted some my files permanently. Try to do with understanding and more accurately.

I think it is ok: I have the same sort of errors during the process and met no problem with signatures. The refresh-keys action works with network servers to ask a fresh versions of keys you already have. Some sources can fail to process the query, so it is ok to receive such errors during the action.

Regarding fixing your issue in this thread: community members described instructions how to fix it, try it. Do not hurry, give it a second more to focus on the thing you are doing. :slight_smile:

This worked. Thank you.

Because I am dumb… I kept reading too far in the link you posted. I was trying a solution to a different error (“GPGME error: No data” Error).

I don’t know. Maybe what aafsmarak said about rpi4-post-install happened to me.

Woops, thank you. Good catch. Before:

[root@pi4b-12 ~]# pacman -Qo /etc/udev/rules.d/99-vcio-rewrite.rules
error: No package owns /etc/udev/rules.d/99-vcio-rewrite.rules

After:

[root@pi4b-12 ~]# pacman -Qo /etc/udev/rules.d/99-vcio-rewrite.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/99-vcio-rewrite.rules is owned by rpi4-post-install 20211125-3
1 Like

Just to clarify … removing the file beforehand or overwriting it during the transaction are the same thing. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.