Pacman shows a bit misleading info while failed to synchronize some of databases

pacman shows a bit misleading info (in this case please ignore the download problem itself, see pacman’s output):

$ sudo pacman -Syu

:: Synchronising package databases...
 core is up to date
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from manjaro.mirrors.lavatech.top : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
error: failed to update extra (download library error)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from manjaro.mirrors.lavatech.top : Operation timed out after 10001 milliseconds with 0 out of 0 bytes received
error: failed to update community (download library error)
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from manjaro.mirrors.lavatech.top : Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 0 out of 0 bytes received
error: failed to update multilib (download library error)
error: failed to synchronize all databases
$

why failed to synchronize all databases message if core db was marked as up to date? If up to date, then the db was successfully synced, is not it?

$ pacman -Qi pacman
Name            : pacman
Version         : 5.2.2-3
Description     : A library-based package manager with dependency support

Because “not all” databases were updated successfully - some failed.

And another one misleading message “all failed”:

:: Synchronising package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.mirrors.lavatech.top : Operation timed out after 10001 milliseconds with 0 out of 0 bytes received
error: failed to update core (download library error)
 extra                                                                               1988.1 KiB   183 KiB/s 00:11 [####################################################################] 100%
 community                                                                              6.4 MiB   447 KiB/s 00:15 [####################################################################] 100%
 multilib is up to date
error: failed to synchronize all databases

Hello alven,

try to refresh your mirror list with

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 10

and then try sync again.

Hi, @freggel.doe, @kisun !

I am not about the download/sync error itself. As I wrote in the initial message,please ignore the payload for a user, see actual actions and pacman's output: or my English is not good enough or wrong phrase used in pacman.

Also may be the phrase is appropriate but has more than exact single meaning:

1. failed to sync every of db;
  2. failed to sync some of db.

I think not single meaning is not good also.

Yes it is. It failed to sync all databases (because some had errors) and told you so :roll_eyes:

@alven, have you tried the command given by @kisun?

Have you checked your internet connection?

A user payload (to update dbs) is off-topic discussion.
Topic purpose is for correlation of actual action and the text of error message of pacman.

If you want to get help you should consider the help being provided. Your issue could be linked to improper mirrors therefore updating the mirrorlist makes totally sense. Otherwise, we all don’t understand what you are saying here. :man_shrugging:

It cannot hurt just to execute

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu

and to report.

So the meaning of the pacman message is the only one, no other interpretation possible?
So “failed to sync every db” meaning is not included in the failed to synchronize all databases phrase?

The question is dedicated to users who perfectly know English.

Why you not just enter the given update command and tell us the result? You could be one enter away from a solution for your issue. This has nothing to do with a language matter.

The output of pacman is not misleading. The point is to synchronize all databases - and not a specific one (or more) of the group - in order to avoid partial upgrades.

Even if a single database fails to synchronize, this is possible to cause problems, since packages from different databases are linked, so in this case the output of pacman would still be the same.

I’m not one of those users, so I got some help:

My lack in grammar. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.