Pacman refuses to install updates

As of today I cannot install any updates on my Manjaro system. As usual I wanted to use the following command:

sudo pacman -Syu

This then resulted in the following error:

:: Synchronizing package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
:: Replace med with community/med-openmpi? [Y/n] Y
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
:: hdf5-openmpi and hdf5 are in conflict. Remove hdf5? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing nvidia-utils (515.65.01-2) breaks dependency ‘nvidia-utils=515.57’ required by linux517-nvidia

With my limited knowledge of Linux I am currently unable to understand what’s going on here or how to resolve this issue. It seems to be related to the graphics driver (Nvidia), but I’m not sure what’s going on here…

Can anyone help?

you need to switch to a different kernel, for example 5.15, then uninstall 5.17 - its end of life - and proceed with update

That’s easier said than done. When I try to install a kernel via the ‘Manjaro Settings Manager’, it just does nothing. It immediately shows the message “Changes were made successfully” (without actually doing anything). After that the selected Kernel is NOT installed. (does not appear as “installed” in the list, even after a reboot)

This problem is the same for every Kernel in the list (5.19, 5.17, 5.15, 5.10 etc.).

Is there a way to fix the GUI or the install the Kernel via the CLI?

provide output from:
mhwd-kernel -li

Here’s the output:

mhwd-kernel -li 
Currently running: 5.17.15-1-MANJARO (linux517)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux517

install the 5.15 kernel:
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux515

Thanks for your help and patience :slight_smile:

Sadly this also fails with Nvidia related errors:

The following packages are out of date, please update your system first: […]
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing nvidia-utils (515.65.01-2) breaks dependency ‘nvidia-utils=515.57’ required by lib32-nvidia-utils
:: installing nvidia-utils (515.65.01-2) breaks dependency ‘nvidia-utils=515.57’ required by linux517-nvidia

do you have dual graphics?
remove the nvidia:
sudo pacman -R linux517-nvidia
then install the kernel:
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux515

might you provide us with some more details (kernel, installed drivers etc…) that is helpful for us to understand. therefor please provide the output of the described inxi-command below

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    [HowTo] Provide System Information
    and press the three dots below your post and press the :pencil2: to give us more information so we can see what’s really going on.
    Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.

:+1:

I have only one graphics card, so I did the following:
Boot into CLI
Uninstall Nvidia
Install kernel 515
Uninstall kernel 517
Boot into kernel 515 in CLI mode
Update everything via pacman
Reboot regularly

Up until this point everything went fine. But then Manjaro gets stuck on the boot screen.
Booting into the CLI works fine though…

Thus I can’t currently provide the outputs from inxi.

Is there any way to find out why Manjaro is not booting into the UI?

you didnt install back nvidia:
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
systemctl reboot

Besides what @brahma just mentioned about forgetting to install nvidia, I just wanted to say that you also could have done this entirely without needing to boot into CLI.
It’s safe to uninstall the running kernel and nvidia driver while running the GUI, just make sure to install another kernel and nvidia driver before rebooting. Also it’s a good idea to have a second kernel installed, preferably an LTS version.

3 Likes

That seems to have happened implicitly. At least the command returned “Skipping already installed…”

so you still stuck?
run this command:
mhwd -li
does it shown: video-nvidia?

OK, it’s working now :smiley:
I force-reinstalled the nvidia driver from the CLI. That seems to have fixed something, because now the machine is booting just fine.

Thanks so much for help.

That’s good to know. I’ll keep that in mind.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.