Pacman: mirrors take too long to sync

Hello. Today, I tried to perform a system update but I noticed the response was much slower than usual. This is the error message I got:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                                                             147,8 KiB   369 KiB/s 00:00 [#######################################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                                                              8,7 MiB  11,0 MiB/s 00:01 [#######################################################################################] 100%
 community                                                                                                         29,0   B   483   B/s 00:00 [#######################################################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                                                         146,5 KiB   603 KiB/s 00:00 [#######################################################################################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.ibakerserver.pt : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirror.ibakerserver.pt : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from mirror.ibakerserver.pt : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
warning: too many errors from mirror.ibakerserver.pt, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

Is this a problem on my end? If so, how can I solve this?

Thank you!

Have you already tried to use :mag: shiny-mirrors ?

Your mirror list is out of date, please see: Pacman-mirrors - Manjaro

EDIT: shiny-mirrors is a fine alternative to pacman-mirrors. Either can be used, but each work a little differently.

2 Likes

The mirror server is offline as you can see here. Change the mirror

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
1 Like

In addition to the above, a user can also get this information (same as repo.manjaro.org web page as mentioned by @teo) from the command pacman-mirrors --status. What is nice about the web page is that if you see a whole bunch of red, it might indicate that it isn’t a good time to update :slight_smile:

In general, always check the status of the mirrors prior to an update. If you do a man on pacman-mirrors and view the “-f” option, it’ll show that mirrors are selected and ranked from “either a custom pool or the default pool.” The “default pool’ is all. The custom pool is built when a user runs pacman-mirrors with the options ‘-c’ or '–geoip”.

3 Likes

Sorry for the late response. I just attempted a full system update without any changes and it just worked now! Thank you everyone!

Well, someone fixed the server :slight_smile: You can see it is green again in the site linked above (under France).

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.