Pacman installation of VirtualBox no longer successful

I successfully run Manjaro on LTS Kernel 54, as that is the last Kernel which works with my machine’s wireless LAN adapter. Throughout the earlier part of 2021, the following worked multiple times without issues, whenever I replaced my SSD and re-installed Manjaro 19.0.2. from scratch (19.0.2 being the version that comes with linux-54)…

sudo pacman -Syu virtualbox linux54-virtualbox-host-modules

Now I get conflicting packages. My USB installation media is the same as before and my hardware hasn’t changed, so the problem is the repositories. How can I resolve this please?

:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace breath2-icon-themes with community/plasma5-themes-breath? [Y/n] n
:: Replace hwids with core/hwdata? [Y/n] n
:: Replace lib32-libcanberra-pulse with multilib/lib32-libcanberra? [Y/n] n
:: Replace libcanberra-pulse with extra/libcanberra? [Y/n] n
:: Replace libutil-linux with core/util-linux-libs? [Y/n] n
:: Replace libwbclient with extra/smbclient? [Y/n] n
:: Replace mhwd-nvidia-418xx with extra/mhwd-nvidia? [Y/n] n
:: Replace mhwd-nvidia-430xx with extra/mhwd-nvidia? [Y/n] n
:: Replace mhwd-nvidia-435xx with extra/mhwd-nvidia? [Y/n] n
:: Replace mhwd-nvidia-440xx with extra/mhwd-nvidia? [Y/n] n
:: Replace pamac-common with extra/libpamac? [Y/n] n
:: Replace pamac-snap-plugin with extra/libpamac-snap-plugin? [Y/n] n
:: Replace pamac-tray-appindicator with extra/pamac-tray-icon-plasma? [Y/n] n
:: Replace plasma5-themes-breath2 with community/plasma5-themes-breath? [Y/n] n
:: Replace pygobject-devel with extra/python-gobject? [Y/n] n
:: Replace python-dbus with extra/dbus-python? [Y/n] n
:: Replace python-dbus-common with extra/dbus-python? [Y/n] n
:: Replace python-sip with extra/python-sip4? [Y/n] n
:: Replace qca with extra/qca-qt5? [Y/n] n
:: Replace sddm-breath2-theme with community/sddm-breath-theme? [Y/n] n
resolving dependencies...
:: There are 2 providers available for pipewire-session-manager:
:: Repository extra
   1) pipewire-media-session  2) wireplumber

Enter a number (default=1): 1
:: There are 2 providers available for libjack.so=0-32:
:: Repository multilib
   1) lib32-jack2  2) lib32-pipewire-jack

Enter a number (default=1): 
looking for conflicting packages...
:: util-linux-libs and libutil-linux are in conflict. Remove libutil-linux? [y/N] n
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: util-linux-libs and libutil-linux are in conflict

Hi @chrisp,

Everything has changes a lot since that ISO, so you can either:

• Download and use a new ISO, installing and switching to kernel 5.4 afterwards,
  • Look for the drivers you require elsewhere, for example the AUR and install and use them, or
  • you need to sync you mirrors and your system as it is with the latest, install all the updates and continue from there.
2 Likes

If you reject the changes when sync your system - you cannot install virtualbox.

As the new virtualbox packages depends on newer system libraries - but you will have to sync the rest of the system.

You don’t have to install a new kernel but for the other packages - there is no middle ground.

4 Likes

@linux-aa I understand what you mean, thanks. You actually helped me with this in April 2021, regarding the Broadcom wireless adapter which crashed the system under the later kernels in Manjaro 20 onwards. We found that by installing 19.0.2 and then updating Manjaro, but not the kernel, that everything was good. I guess things don’t stay the same way indefinitely, as this is a moving target.

I’m just re-doing the virtualbox installation, as you say, by accepting the updates. Actually I’ve tried it already and got problems with conflicts between pipewire and jack2 but I forgot the copy the results — doing it again :wink:

Yes, that’s an interesting idea @Mirdarthos about switching back to the 5.4 kernel, thanks. Yes, I suppose I could install the latest ISO and use the ethernet port for the updates and the 5.4 kernel installation (any activity via the wireless LAN causes a kernel panic). So yes, this is another option maybe. Thanks.

I re-attempted this @linux-aarhus — accepting the updates as you say. It has an issue with lib32-jack2 and lib32-jack being in conflict. Answering “Y” to resolve the conflicts appears to cause the process to end prematurely.

downloading libxcrypt-4.4.28-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst...
downloading hplip-1:3.22.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst...
checking keyring...
checking package integrity...
loading package files...
checking for file conflicts...
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
libxcrypt: /usr/include/crypt.h exists in filesystem (owned by glibc)
libxcrypt: /usr/lib/libcrypt.so exists in filesystem (owned by glibc)
libxcrypt: /usr/share/man/man3/crypt.3.gz exists in filesystem (owned by man-pages)
libxcrypt: /usr/share/man/man3/crypt_r.3.gz exists in filesystem (owned by man-pages)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace breath2-icon-themes with community/plasma5-themes-breath? [Y/n] y
:: Replace hwids with core/hwdata? [Y/n] y
:: Replace lib32-libcanberra-pulse with multilib/lib32-libcanberra? [Y/n] y
:: Replace libcanberra-pulse with extra/libcanberra? [Y/n] y
:: Replace libutil-linux with core/util-linux-libs? [Y/n] y
:: Replace libwbclient with extra/smbclient? [Y/n] y
:: Replace mhwd-nvidia-418xx with extra/mhwd-nvidia? [Y/n] y
:: Replace mhwd-nvidia-430xx with extra/mhwd-nvidia? [Y/n] y
:: Replace mhwd-nvidia-435xx with extra/mhwd-nvidia? [Y/n] y
:: Replace mhwd-nvidia-440xx with extra/mhwd-nvidia? [Y/n] y
:: Replace pamac-common with extra/libpamac? [Y/n] y
:: Replace pamac-snap-plugin with extra/libpamac-snap-plugin? [Y/n] y
:: Replace pamac-tray-appindicator with extra/pamac-tray-icon-plasma? [Y/n] y
:: Replace plasma5-themes-breath2 with community/plasma5-themes-breath? [Y/n] y
:: Replace pygobject-devel with extra/python-gobject? [Y/n] y
:: Replace python-dbus with extra/dbus-python? [Y/n] y
:: Replace python-dbus-common with extra/dbus-python? [Y/n] y
:: Replace python-sip with extra/python-sip4? [Y/n] y
:: Replace qca with extra/qca-qt5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace sddm-breath2-theme with community/sddm-breath-theme? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
:: There are 2 providers available for pipewire-session-manager:
:: Repository extra
   1) pipewire-media-session  2) wireplumber

:: There are 2 providers available for libjack.so=0-32:
:: Repository multilib
   1) lib32-jack2  2) lib32-pipewire-jack

looking for conflicting packages...
:: lib32-jack2 and lib32-jack are in conflict. Remove lib32-jack? [y/N] y
:: jack2 and jack are in conflict. Remove jack? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing lib32-libcanberra (0.30+2+gc0620e4-5) breaks dependency 'lib32-libcanberra=0.30+2+gc0620e4-1' required by lib32-libcanberra-gstreamer
:: installing libcanberra (0.30+2+gc0620e4-5) breaks dependency 'libcanberra=0.30+2+gc0620e4-2' required by libcanberra-gstreamer
:: removing breath2-icon-themes breaks dependency 'breath2-icon-themes' required by manjaro-kde-settings-19.0
:: removing plasma5-themes-breath2 breaks dependency 'plasma5-themes-breath2' required by manjaro-kde-settings-19.0

It is very common when installing from older ISO so encounter a various amount of issues.

You will have to remove one offending package at a time to get to a state where the sync can go through.

There is no easy way - I am sorry.

In your case I would likely uninstall libcanberry and everything depending on it.

I would take a close look and note which packages would be uninstalled - if any need to be reinstalled.

For libxcrypt I would do the same.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply again @linux-aarhus no that’s okay, it’s helping me to understand what I should expect from it and recognise what is normal. My usual preference is to download and retain copies of critical software that I need to support my work so that I’m not left stranded by the passage of time — therefore that would normally require me to keep a bootable USB drive and also media containing VirtualBox, but I can’t seem to do that with Manjaro, because VirtualBox’s website doesn’t provide a version for Manjaro or Arch.

But anyway, enough of that — I’ve actually resolved the matter by downloading the latest Manjaro 21.2.5. It appears since last year that the kernel has been fixed and no longer crashes when using a Broadcom wireless device. The latest download has given me kernel 5.15. I don’t really need to do anything further now.

What would be great is if I could download an installation file for VirtualBox that I could keep, but I have no idea if that’s possible. I have also been running a server with CentOS, and for that system I have a permanent RPM that I can just install without a working connection.

1 Like

That’s great.

Packages you install are stored in /var/cache/pacman/pkg including virtualbox - so if you plan to keep a package copy at a given state this would be the place to look.

Okay, I see @linux-aarhus . I looked and there are two:

virtualbox-6.1.32-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
virtualbox-6.1.32-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.sig

Say for instance Manjaro was freshly installed. Would it be sufficient to reinstate those two files from a previous copy, or is more required?

the sig file is not necessary - you would need the linuxXX-virtualbox-host-modules as well - or use dkms and the linuxXX headers.

But it is a must - very important - that all packages align with the system.

There a lot a methods you can use to ensure it - you can even create a copy of the relevant repo at any given time and use this for your local maintenance.

Just search for keywords local manjaro mirror

1 Like

Thanks, yes I can see the idea behind this @linux-aarhus. I’ve just extracted the contents of the .pkg.tar.zst and note that it contains the /bin and /lib and a few other items. Clearly it’s the actual package software contents rather than an ‘installable’, but I guess I need to familiarise myself further with this before I claim to properly understand it. I’ll take a look at your links, thanks.

While that may be true for the full ISO’s, we have current LTS and/or minimal ISO’s with 5.4:

1 Like

Thanks, interesting to know that @Yochanan — I hope this isn’t a silly question, but is the reason for providing these typically hardware support?

These 5.4 kernels would have been great news for me, were it not for the fact that the 5.15 kernel has resolved my longstanding hardware problem!