Pacman: E: Failed to remove snapshot

Hey there!

After a recent unrecoverable btrfs self descruction I’ve reinstalled manjaro kde around a week ago. Since I still hadn’t have enough I’ve again installed on luks+btrfs.

Now every time I update software, it prints me many thousand lines because the btrfs backup pacman hook tries to delete every file from the older backups individually instead of deleting the btrfs snapshot itself.

rm: cannot remove '/run/timeshift/backup/timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-09-22_21-16-26/@home/thomas/.m2/repository/commons-lang/commons-lang/2.1/commons-lang-2.1.jar': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove '/run/timeshift/backup/timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-09-22_21-16-26/@home/thomas/.lesshst': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove '/run/timeshift/backup/timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-09-22_21-16-26/@home/thomas/.zhistory': Read-only file system

E: Failed to remove snapshot: 2021-09-22_21-16-26
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This slows pacman down a lot. How can I fix this?

Hello,

Have you tried to update with:
pamac update
instead of
sudo pacman -Syyu

?

no, I have not, I thought installing system updates needs root permissions. I guess it will ask for it later on while processing?

I will try that next time.

pamac is using polkit, so when the time comes it will ask for your password as administrator.

1 Like

pamac shows the same problem. The updates get installed anyway, but this failed removal of old backups slows the process down quite a bit.