Pacman>6.1 dependency for yay installation

Hello together,

I am new to Manjaro and Linux and was lately trying to install yay as a pacman wrapper in order to install non core repository packages.

Now I ran into a problem, namely that makepkg -si requires at least pacman 6.1. However, pacman fails to install/update itself. Below I entered the terminal messages:

cd yay
~/yay/master makepkg -si                                                            
==> Making package: yay 12.3.5-1
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Installing missing dependencies...
error: target not found: pacman>6.1
==> ERROR: 'pacman' failed to install missing dependencies.
==> Missing dependencies:
  -> pacman>6.1
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> ERROR: Could not resolve all dependencies.

Thanks for your help in advance and have a nice day!

Kind regards,
Philipp

Don’t use the AUR with Stable branch.
Install packages available in repositories, from repositories, not the AUR or other external sources.

Also, to add to @omano, yay is in repo.

4 Likes

Why are you installing yay that way when it is available in the Manjaro repositories? All you need to do to install yay is run via the CLI pamac install yay, or you can install it via the Pamac GUI.

I just installed it on my system:

pamac install yay 
Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Refreshing extra.db...                                                                                                                          
Refreshing AUR...                                                                                                                               

Choose optional dependencies for yay:
1:  doas: privilege elevation *[not required as I have sudo installed]*

Enter a selection (default=none): 

Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

To install (1):
  yay  12.3.0-1    extra  3.2 MB

Total download size: 3.2 MB
Total installed size: 9.8 MB

Apply transaction ? [y/N] y
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.manjaro.pamac.commit ====
Authentication is required to install, update, or remove packages
Authenticating as: Scott (scotty)
Password: 
==== AUTHENTICATION COMPLETE ====
Download of yay (12.3.0-1) started                                                                                                              
Download of yay (12.3.0-1) finished                                                                                                             
Checking keyring...                                                                                                                        [1/1]
Checking integrity...                                                                                                                      [1/1]
Loading packages files...                                                                                                                  [1/1]
Checking file conflicts...                                                                                                                 [1/1]
Checking available disk space...                                                                                                           [1/1]
Installing yay (12.3.0-1)...                                                                                                               [1/1]
Transaction successfully finished.
3 Likes

Manjaro Stable has yay - with ‘stable’ you’re a week or so behind, so building new things will fail sometimes.

It’s not a problem, per se… just like with any other distribution not on the cutting edge, you have to wait for stuff to filter through if you want bleeding edge.

pamac install yay
1 Like

Last update for Stable branch was 2024-03-13 so using yay to build packages from third party repositories is more likely to fail

you have to wait for stuff to filter through if you want bleeding edge.

Or switch to Testing (or unstable) branch

sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch testing
pamac update --no-aur
3 Likes

Just a quick comment: if Pamac is already installed, why the need to use yay?
Pamac handles AUR stuff.

Although I miss CLI Yaourt … better interface IMHO.

1 Like

I stopped using Pamac for AUR to be honest. yay is better, it just works, when with Pamac I had too much issues, always a problem to build some packages, or issues with the AUR database…

Ah, OK. I don’t use many AUR packages but have indeed encountered build issues with Pamac, as you describe.

I just didn’t think of Pamac being the issue there.

Pamac is still good, but for me because of the issues I encountered multiple time over the years, I switched to yay to manage my AUR packages, but I actually still use Pamac to generally manage package and search and get information about dependencies of AUR packages, when needed. I don’t know the current state right now as I personally don’t use it to install AUR packages since long time now, maybe it can work good for some people.

But anyway, as everyone repeated, yay is in the repositories, just install it.

1 Like

OP issue was about using makepkg to build an AUR helper from AUR
build failed due to outdated version of pacman

Installing yay from repository is still likely to fail to build other AUR packages until Stable branch is updated

1 Like

No, this is specific to yay (or paru, etc.) depending on new pacman libs.

Stable branch has not been updated for over 6 weeks so other AUR packages might fail to build if there are outdated dependencies

Sure, but that is always the possibility.

Always more likely this time of year when new ISO is due

It does, but I prefer yay… after a flirt with paru and the recent delay in getting pacman through, similar to OP’s issue with manually installing yay instead of getting it from the respositories - yay just works and has nice features.