Packages related to Awesome community edition removed

The package manjaro-awesome-settings is now removed from AUR repo.
Uninstalling it would imply removing also my Awesome window manager, whose packages are dependencies of manjaro-awesome-settings.

Which is the best course of action for people using this community edition?

Sorry all I can suggest is to change to a different, still-supported WM. You can keep what you have for now, but expect things to break with future updates. :frowning:

Unless, of course, the project is picked up by someone. I haven’t really looked into the Community editions so can’t say whether this is likely.

… the Manjaro repositories. It was never in the AUR (Arch User Repository).

Unmaintained community editions and their related packages were recently removed.

Not if you yank it out manually and mark all the dependencies as explicitly installed after.

No one can answer that except you. :wink:

1 Like

Can you elaborate more on this?

manjaro-awesome-settings depends on

manjaro-base-skel  awesome  awesome-freedesktop  awesome-wallpapers  adapta-maia-theme
arc-maia-icon-theme  xcursor-breeze  noto-fonts  lain  cesious-theme

I only need awesome and awesome-freedesktop packages. Plus, noto-fonts is a dependency of some other packages, while lain is not required any more by my awesome rc.lua.

So perhaps I should use:

sudo pacman -D --asexplicit  awesome  awesome-freedesktop
sudo pacman -Rs  manjaro-desktop-settings

:heavy_equals_sign:

sudo pacman -Rdd manjaro-awesome-settings

Do you mean only your pacman -Rdd or also changing install reason?
Because otherwise I would get orphans, and a routine orphan removal

sudo pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qdtq)

would destroy my system.

the command removes the named package without regard for dependencies - it is an expert option to keep everything but the package in question.

:wink:

OK, thank you, @Yochanan. I finally used:

sudo pacman -Rdd manjaro-awesome-settings
sudo pacman -D --asexplicit  awesome  manjaro-base-skel 
sudo pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qdtq) # rm orphans

I removed from the Awesome config, rc.lua, the dependencies from awesome-freedesktop and lain, which are not in the Arch repositories.
Thus, my Awesome setup depends only on the Arch extra repository (extra/awesome, extra/vicious, extra/papirus-icon-theme).

I assume that this should make it resilient to future Manjaro upgrades.
Any comment/suggestion on my setup is greatly appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.