Package wishlist for Manjaro ARM

for my fine Manjaro system on Pinebook Pro I would like to open a wish list for packages that today are not available for ARM resp. can not be installed/built:

• AESCrypt (…for me prio 1)

• kuro

• microsoft-edge-stable-bin

• p3x-onenote

( these are in the repos resp in AUR but stop the build process with error “…not available for aarch64…”,
which is not ideal because I think if not available for that architecture it should not be offered in pamac)

but: I like Manjaro ARM on my Pinebook a lot and I am really fascinated :grinning: and thankful for all your peoples work!

There is a reason for this message. When it tells you this, it’s because it’s read from a PKGBUILD on the AUR. That’s out of the supported software by Manjaro. Nothing we can do about that.
So you have a couple of options.

1. You can add aarch64 to the PKGBUILD and see if it builds. If it does, fine, you can then suggest the AUR package maintainer to add it to the PKGBUILD. If it doesn’t, then the software does not support the architecture. So that should be reported to the software developers themselves. Packages called -bin likely won’t work with this, as they are pre-compiled and just repackaged.

2. You can disable AUR support in Pamac, so you will not get offered any software that is not installable on your device. This will exclude all the software in the AUR for you, so all your wishlist goes to zero.

3. Find alternatives. Maybe there are other software available in the repo, that does the same thing or have the same function.

4. Create a separate repository, where you have built the packages you want from the AUR and add it to your pacman.conf. This is not as easy as the other 3 options, as it requires you to have knowledge of how to build the application for your architecture, how to package it and how to maintain a repository.

AUR is not supported by Manjaro. It can often by used, yes, but it’s not something we support.

AUR is built for Arch x86_64, not with aarch64 in mind. So there will be a lot of the packages there, not taking that into account.

AESCrypt

This is build from source but aarch64 isn’t in arch=(), you can make this change and see if it builds, then you can politely ask to add aarch64 to the AUR maintainer

kuro and p3x-onenote

While building from source is an option these depends on electron which isn’t packaged for arm

microsoft-edge-stable-bin

That don’t exist for arm64 as said to you 3 days ago and have an unredestributable license

We, in Manjaro ARM, do provide electron. See Packages.

2 Likes

There is a reason for this message. When it tells you this, it’s because it’s read from a PKGBUILD on the AUR. That’s out of the supported software by Manjaro. Nothing we can do about that.
So you have a couple of options.
You can add aarch64 to the PKGBUILD and see if it builds. If it does, fine, you can then suggest the AUR package maintainer to add it to the PKGBUILD. If it doesn’t, then the software does not support the architecture. So that should be reported to the software developers themselves. Packages called -bin likely won’t work with this, as they are pre-compiled and just repackaged.

You can disable AUR support in Pamac, so you will not get offered any software that is not installable on your device. This will exclude all the software in the AUR for you, so all your wishlist goes to zero.

Find alternatives. Maybe there are other software available in the repo, that does the same thing or have the same function.

Create a separate repository, where you have built the packages you want from the AUR and add it to your pacman.conf. This is not as easy as the other 3 options, as it requires you to have knowledge of how to build the application for your architecture, how to package it and how to maintain a repository.

AUR is not supported by Manjaro. It can often by used, yes, but it’s not something we support.

AUR is built for Arch x86_64, not with aarch64 in mind. So there will be a lot of the packages there, not taking that into account.

Wow, that was really helpful and clarified things for me, thanks a lot! :+1: :smiley:

AUR not supported by Manjaro, didn"t know that

AUR is not even supported by Arch. It’s a user repository, so users need to support it themselves.

PiOS released widevine for arm64.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=347736
https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/w/widevine/

1 Like

Is this specific for only PiOS or does it work on any Debian Bullseye?

Chances are the blob will work on any distro that is not older than Debian Bullseye.

Can now be installed in Manjaro ARM, by installing glibc-widevine and widevine-aarch64 from the AUR and make the changes the install script says when installing.

2 Likes

I installed those packages but didn’t see any changes/install script. The DRM is still not working in Firefox or Chromium. May I ask what else would need to be done?
Thank You

If you installed via the command line, it would have said what needed to be done.

Source: widevine-aarch64.install - aur.git - AUR Package Repositories

post_install() {
  echo ":: IMPORTANT: In order to register the widevine component with chromium and/or firefox"
  echo "   run the relevant scripts below for every user that needs widevine enabled."
  echo "       - register_widevine_firefox"
  echo "       - register_widevine_chromium"
  echo "   These scripts will add the needed entries into the user dirs for either"
  echo "   browser.  This action has to be performed only once; the registering will"
  echo "   persist after package upgrades."
  echo ":: IMPORTANT (2): When running chromium or firefox, one needs to prepend the"
  echo "   following to the command line:"
  echo "       LD_PRELOAD=/opt/WidevineCdm/libgcc_hide.so"
  echo ":: IMPORTANT (3): WidevineCDM on ARM now requires patches to glibc.  Therefore"
  echo "   a dependency to the AUR package glibc-widevine has been added."
}

The above mentions what you need to do to make it work.

Thank you, thank you! I’ll get on that this evening

im getting the following error when trying to install. how do i solve this?

- glibc needs to be removed but it is a locked package