Over 250GB available BUT not enough space error

It doesn’t matter how many snapshots you have. A large number does not necessarily need a lot of space.
Rather, it is the age of the snapshots that plays a role (because then there are many files in them that have changed in the meantime)

It is often very helpful to delete first only the oldest snapshot.

Btrfs needs some time to clean up after deleting snapshots. Meanwhile, more and more space is slowly being displayed as free. You can watch this as root with “watch btrfs usage …” in a terminal.
:footprints:

And it is possible to have 500GB Data on a btrfs-partition with 400GB, and even have 150GB unallocated :wink: (when compression is on)

the oldest one was dated nov 17th 22 and I did not make many changes on my system since that
I’d really love to understand this mess but for now I am glad it is solved :man_shrugging:

thanks to everybody for helping me today!
take care :slight_smile:

Look the similar issue:

You can exclude some data from home snapshot:

• Downloads and ISO
  • VM images
  • Games
  • public data, it exists everywhere in internet.
  • (Home cache)

This may happen, when using timeshift in rsync-mode on btrfs

For those intrigued about the reason:
I think it’s because of the normal operating mode of rsync which does a “create temp file and rename over the old original” which uses new space on the disk, while the btrfs way uses hard-links IIRC…

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.