Our New Official Manjaro Website

Simple, but effective for the purpose…

Get Manjaro

3 Likes

Good job, I like especially when you evaluate feedback from community and consider it in your vision and perspective Manjaro Team! Keep it ongoing!

1 Like

Hi there. The Specs for VENUS also have 1GB rather than Tb.

2 Likes

I have no complaints on the aesthetics of the new site.

However, it is still silent on basic advice on the best practices in upgrading your system, especially if you are new to the OS and wanted to find out more before you downloaded and installed the iso. No mention of checking the forum for advice/release announcements first, before installing the updates.

See here: Using Manjaro for Beginners - Manjaro

Also, when I tried to click on the link at the bottom to the online manual, it gave me a 504 Gateway timeout message.

When update problems do arise [as it did when Plasma 6 was released into Manjaro Stable], and newcomers come into the forum upset, it is rather unfair to blame them for not checking the forum first. How would they have known to do so, UNTIL they actually updated their system and everything went awry for the first time? The official site doesn’t give them any hint that that might be advisable.

1 Like

Thank you for the offer. I also agree with @Bisnap that the website is rather light on information right now.

To some degree it was a conscious choice to go with only a few pieces of information as the old website had a bit too much of everything. But we can definitely expand a bit on the current state.

In the old page there existed for some time a “Features” page, which has been unlinked some time ago:

I don’t think we should have a separate Features page anymore, but maybe we can take some inspiration for that for additional information on the front page.

Currently it only features two sections, one about our general branching model and one about enterprise services. I think there could be two to three additional sections, for example describing:

• our own apps and that you can get all Arch/AUR apps (huge selection, very recent)
  • hardware support through recent kernel/userland
  • gaming sutiability

The crux is though, that this shouldn’t just be good writing, it needs to also come with some nice graphics. For example I think the design of https://bazzite.gg/ is top-notch. It wouldn’t fit our more professional style but some of the later sections are pretty well done in terms of animations and graphics. So maybe we can do something similar for few selected sections.

1 Like

Missing “t” in the product name, also “GB”, not “gb”, and “TB”, not “Tb”. These seem to be inconsistent across multiple products’ specifications on this page.

And I don’t think M.2 SSDs that small even exist :stuck_out_tongue:

Isn’t there an RSS feed of the News on the new web site like we had under News – Manjaro on the old web site?

Also, consider the distinctions between GB and GiB (etc), wherever appropriate.

2 Likes

Advertising tends to go with base 10, since bigger number more better, or something :stuck_out_tongue:

One of my side projects is collecting infos about Linux distributions (and more), looking at the website I can’t find where the open source stuff is

2 Likes

Perhaps where x86 is specified, a bracketed (64-bit) might also be added to avoid the inevitable confusion due to the long standing association of x86 with 32-bit.

Intel x86 (64-bit) (or similar).

Alternatively, one could use x86-64 or amd64, both of which are officially accepted designations.

It is often called amd64 because AMD were the first to introduce the architecture, and after Intel’s failed attempts to create their own 64-bit version of x86, they licensed the design from AMD.

Microsoft and a few other entities refer to it as x64, but this is not an official designation.

1 Like

Which supports the need to have the instances instantly recognisable by all – x86-64 does that, while still seeming impartial to historical factors.

It’s in the news…sort of.

2 Likes

I’ll take a peak sometime soon!

EDIT: I’m getting “Secure Connection Failed”

Error code: SEC_ERROR_OCSP_SERVER_ERROR

Congrats, nice looking

:+1:

I think the Website should be available in more Languages.
At least in German.

Firefox has built in translation now, which may or may not help you.

1 Like

That is actually a good suggestion. The forum allows for multiple language areas; it would be nice to see on the Manjaro site itself.

Keep in mind though, that it would likely be a huge undertaking, so an offsite translator might be generally more practical…
as long as it’s not A.I. :smile_cat:

Aside:- There are browser extensions available (apparently) that can translate text on a page to the language you select. No doubt they will use an online translator in the background, so security is potentially a concern.

:point_up:

Seconded loudly.

2 Likes