OS is not booting on display manager after changing from gdm to lightdm

So I changed my display manager from GDM to LightDM in Manjaro Gnome following instructions on https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Install_Display_Managers but now when I boot my system, I get stuck in a black screen and LightDm does not boot. I can’t even do anything with Alt+CTRL+F2. What is the problem here? Is there a way to fix it or should I reinstall Manjaro?

1 Like

I am having this same exact issue, except switched from SDDM to lightDM on KDE environment. Boot into a black screen with no keyboard input at all. I have files I dont want to lose on that partition, so reinstalling is not an option.

Running the latest kernel at the time of writing this (5.10), installed yesterday. I run Manjaro on a Macbook pro 13’ Serial: FVFYK4JTHV22 booting Windows and Manjaro on separate partitions using the GRUB bootloader. I have access to the grub command line on boot, and the Windows partition, but I haven’t yet checked if I can change the display manager back to sddm from either. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I misread title and forgot which one I was having issues with. I am having issues with LXDM not lightDM. My bad.

1 Like

Hello @mohammadreza99a, just a suggestion. If you have an issue with booting, it may help to find/make some installable media, boot into it, then mount your device’s original hard drive (in files GUI, navigate to +, then look for your computer’s hard drive and double-click). You can then operate on the hard disk of your installation without having to simply abandon the installation. You can then use chroot to return your computer’s software to a state before the LightDM installation.

2 Likes

When the bootprocess has finished (as far as it gets), press alt+F2 to get to the text console and try to revert the installation. i.e. disable lightdm service and enable sddm again (n.b., before you might try to disable sddm.service).

1 Like

You can use a separate installation media to live-boot into and then chroot into the current installation from there.
Or you can edit the grub entry before boot and set the runlevel so it boots into tty and then you can try to fix things there.

2 Likes

am having the same issue, has anyone found a solution for this ?