Org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: process error: "Unknown error"

I had no issues with my Manjaro KDE for so long, and then I considered installing Kalendar. Upon installation of Kalendar, it never opened, running it via terminal gave me some errors (I rebooted, so I have no record of those errors but it was about Akonadi). Ever since I installed Kalendar (still installed on my computer), I have lots of issues with opening other software. Opening anything for the first time including opening neoteftch, Vivaldi, krunner, and etc. all have a massive delay (about 10 to 15 seconds is my estimate.

My issue is similar to the following thread, but there are few differences. One being that it is not Kmail, but most importantly they never reported any issues with Plasma performance, which has badly affected me:

The following is the output of sudo journalctl -p 3 -xb:

❯  sudo journalctl -p 3 -xb
Jun 19 14:05:17 Chrstphr kernel: hid-generic 0003:31E3:1220.0003: offset (0) exceeds report_count (0)
Jun 19 14:05:17 Chrstphr kernel: hid-generic 0003:31E3:1220.0003: No inputs registered, leaving
Jun 19 14:05:18 Chrstphr kernel: 
Jun 19 14:05:21 Chrstphr systemd[631]: Failed to start Update XDG user dir configuration.
â–‘â–‘ Subject: A start job for unit UNIT has failed
â–‘â–‘ Defined-By: systemd
â–‘â–‘ Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
â–‘â–‘ 
â–‘â–‘ A start job for unit UNIT has finished with a failure.
â–‘â–‘ 
â–‘â–‘ The job identifier is 25 and the job result is failed.
Jun 19 14:05:46 Chrstphr akonadiserver[917]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: database server stopped unexpectedly
Jun 19 14:05:46 Chrstphr akonadiserver[917]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database process exited unexpectedly during initial connection!
Jun 19 14:05:46 Chrstphr akonadiserver[917]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: executable: "/usr/bin/mysqld"
Jun 19 14:05:46 Chrstphr akonadiserver[917]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/mehrad/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf", "--datadir=/home/mehrad/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/", "--socket=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.socket", "--pid-file=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.pid")
Jun 19 14:05:46 Chrstphr akonadiserver[917]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: stdout: ""
Jun 19 14:05:46 Chrstphr akonadiserver[917]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: stderr: "2022-06-19 14:05:41 0 [Note] /usr/bin/mysqld (server 10.8.3-MariaDB) starting as process 1020 ...\n"
Jun 19 14:05:46 Chrstphr akonadiserver[917]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: exit code: 1
Jun 19 14:05:46 Chrstphr akonadiserver[917]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: process error: "Unknown error"
Jun 19 14:06:06 Chrstphr pulseaudio[819]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

and upon suggestions of the aforementioned post, I tried restarting the Akondi:

❯  akonadictl restart
Akonadi is not running.
❯  akonadictl start
org.kde.pim.akonadictl: Starting Akonadi Server...
org.kde.pim.akonadictl:    done.
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server...
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: database server stopped unexpectedly
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database process exited unexpectedly during initial connection!
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: executable: "/usr/bin/mysqld"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/mehrad/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf", "--datadir=/home/mehrad/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/", "--socket=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.socket", "--pid-file=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.pid")
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: stdout: ""
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: stderr: "2022-06-19 14:09:00 0 [Note] /usr/bin/mysqld (server 10.8.3-MariaDB) starting as process 2148 ...\n"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: exit code: 1
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: process error: "Unknown error"

I of course can downgrade as suggested by few users in that thread, but I thought I keep the current state of the system so that I can provide more information if needed by any of the devs/maintainers/Manjaro Team.

Manjaro does not develop KDE and akonadi is - kind of - dysfuntional at the moment - and there is next to nothing Manjaro can do about that.

A search using the akonadi keyword reveals several issues.

Thank you for the reply

Manjaro does not develop KDE

Yes, I’m aware of that, I just thought:

1. Manjaro would/should either remove Kalendar and Akonadi from software repos or should keep them few versions behind until the issue is resolved
  2. I can help Manjaro team investigate how akonadi can create such a lag on non-KDE software and somehow if possible prevent that.

Kalendar and Kmail are getting lots of media coverage these days, and them not working properly can cause frustration especially to new Linux users, and therefore I though bringing up and helping investigating and addressing it is potentially good for the community. :slight_smile:

The vast majority of packages comes from Arch - I assume you already know that. The best you can do is to check with upstream kde bugtracker - I am sure you will find plenty options to report.

Manjaro already delays - and has received lot of critique for it - the packages coming from Arch repos and it is not feasible to delay them further than at present time.

Plasma 5.25 has arrived - perhaps issues with akonadi has been resolved.

They are generally frustrated because Linux != Windows.

1 Like

If you search the Internet you’re not alone:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1407756/akonadi-on-kde-cant-start-due-to-unknown-error-and-i-cant-update-mariadb

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=454948#c9

Hope that might solve your issue … A proper fix is expected in akonadi 22.04.3 release regarding the MariaDB issue you may have.

touch $HOME/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ib_logfile0

See also: Fix crash when upgrading mariadb to 10.8 · archlinux/svntogit-packages@df08235 · GitHub

2 Likes

Thanks. Reading the link you provided lead me to a less destructive (compared to the other thread) approach which solved the issue:

mv "~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data" "~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data.old" 
akonadictl start     # This would take some time, so be patient

Now I can easily use Kalendar, I haven’t rebooted the machine to see if the lag for non-KDE software is gone or not. I’ll try to remember to report back.

I pushed a fixed version of akonadi to stable and testing branch …

1 Like

Installing libxcrypt-compat fixed the issue for me.

Sorry for the delay in reporting back. It seems everything has been working smoothly ever since. Cheers.