Optimus solutions & direction please

Hello Manjaro team -

I’m going to get a new-laptop soon (system76) and know that I’ll also likely be dealing with the steps necessary to configure an Optimus solution. The Manjaro team does a great job documenting the Optiimus Manager install steps and I’ve also found some great Youtube help. There also seems to be some gotchas that I’m confused about.

I’m a long time linux user but not especially technical. That is, I read instructions and basically understand them, and execute them, but if they don’t work for me I don’t have the chops to do much troubleshooting.

That being said, I’ve found a couple of Manjaro / Optimus paths and am confused about what’s-what. I’m a Gnome user, which seems to add a wrinkle.

This Youtube link and wiki link point in one direction:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Optimus_Manager

But then there’s these links. The two approaches are related but this is, I think, without the total Optimus Manager wrap-around:

I’m confused. Your thoughts welcome.

RSV869

I suggest using the video-hybrid-(intel|amd)-nvidia-prime configuration in mhwd, and optimus-manager.

The steps are roughly:

1. sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 - this should automatically install video-hybrid-(intel|amd)-nvidia-prime (whichever is appropriate)
  2. install optimus-manager (or pamac build optimus-manager-git - if you have an AMD GPU).
  3. remove (back up) all display related Xorg configuration
  4. if you use the SDDM (KDE) or GDM (GNOME) as your display manager, read the relevant parts of the README
  5. optionally install optimus-manager-qt if you want to be able to do the switching from the system tray
  6. reboot
1 Like

Thx pobm -

I looked at your steps and then compared them to the Youtube I mentioned earlier:

and it looks like your suggestions shortcut some of those steps. That is, As I understand it, the mhwd command replaces to manual Nvidia install, right?

Also, can a gdm user still use the optimus-manager-qt, or is a different library needed for that?

Still need a demon, right?

thx

RSV869

Yes.

You can use optimus-manager-qt with GNOME, yes.

Hi pobrn

There’s an extra step for gdm users which says that gdm has to be removed the gdm-prime installed. Re: process, am I right that when gdm is removed (something like Octopi) that a desktop services will still function as long as I don’t log off or reboot before I install gdm-prime?

thx again

RSV869

You don’t need to remove gdm, per se. If you try to install gdm-prime, the package manager will automatically notify you that gdm-prime conflicts with gdm, and there you can say "yes, please replace gdm with gdm-prime".

I’ve installed manjaro with architect, unconfigured desktop and then installed some manjaro goodies
auto-install video driver with video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime
I’ve not /etc/sddm.conf … it’s empty but I found it in /usr/lib/sddm/sddm.conf.d/default.conf and modified there
this notebook has nvidia 1660 TI with no use of it for me

in Optimus settings I’ve selected

Will this settings give me more battery life? Any better settings to apply?

not using the nvidia card obviously gives better battery life,

but there is the following to consider too if battery life is very important to you:
“Since version v1.2, power management is disabled by default, so the Nvidia GPU will stay powered on (consuming energy) until manual configuration is done. This choice was made because there is no catch-all configuration that works for all laptop models, and incorrect configurations often break the boot process.”

also you can check TLP and see what can be done there.

1 Like

TLP seems ok

with Optimus-manager I’ve also got rid of two kernel error ans the messages at shutdown (failed to finalize file system, old root etc.) are gone

1 Like

well, after reading here and there, did some testing, and having a Turing dGPU with Intel 10 gen. CPU, I’m wandering if I really need to keep installed Optimus-manager…

the video-drivers installed with MHWD seems to work ok and I don’t see any great difference with or without Optimus-manager on battery consumption, if I’m not wrong…

nvidia is not in my use scenario, not gaming, not 3D etc…

Then optimus-manager is only really useful if you want to switch between the different modes optimus-manager provides.

1 Like

thanks, now everything is more clear to me

Can’t you just disable the GPU in BIOS/UEFI? This way it wouldn’t turn on at all.

not possible…

You’re not, really. It’s especially good for pre-Turing GPUs like mine. Intel-only mode consumes significantly less power than Hybrid on my side.

1 Like