[Optimus manager] SDDM login screen is black, but can type password and login

Hello,

I have been running manjaro linux before on my laptop, but I decided to do a fresh install. I did all my steps as usual. Installed optimus-manager and optimus-manager-qt. However when trying to switch to nvidia gpu or another gpu its fails to do so and relogs me and I was on gpu I was using before. But if set it to use nvidia gpu on startup, I get a blank login screen (no blinking cursor), I found out I can type my password and login. After I do I get the splash screen and indeed it is using nvidia gpu. When it is set to use intel gpu (aka. intergrated) on startup I get the normal login screen. I did try few kernel versions linux515, linux517, linux518, linux519. But its all the same, and sometimes it just gets bricked and I need to do fresh install of os.

I really have no idea what is going on. On my previous install everything was working fine.
Ps. if i plug hdmi display, the login screen is displayed on it, but not on laptop screen.

System details:
CPU: Intel Core i7 11800H
GPU: nVidia geForce RTX 3060
KDE version: 5.24.5
KDE Framework version: 5.94.0
Qt version: 5.15.4
Kernel version: 5.15.46-1
Graphics platform: X11

Laptop: Dell gaming G15 5511

Thanks!

did you uncomment the lines in the sddm config?
also post output from:
mhwd -l && mhwd -li
find /etc/X11/ -name "*.conf"

Hi,

No, I did not touch any config files.
Here are my outputs:

$mhwd -l && mhwd -li                                                                                                                                   ✔ 
> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:2560) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2021.12.18               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-470xx            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:9a60) Display controller Intel Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> Installed PCI configs:

Warning: No installed USB configs!
$find /etc/X11/ -name "*.conf"                                                                                                                         ✔ 
/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad.conf

do you have optimus installed? if yes uninstall it, then reboot and post output again from:
find /etc/X11/ -name "*.conf"

Ok, I have unistalled it and this is my output:

$find /etc/X11/ -name "*.conf" 
/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad.conf

ok, so now edit the file /etc/sddm.conf and simply put a # before the line starting with DisplayCommand and the one starting with DisplayStopCommand.
They will look like this:
#DisplayCommand
#DisplayStopCommand
then install again optimus:

pamac install optimus-manager optimus-manager-qt

reboot and test

Hi, sorry for late reply. I did what you said and its working perfectly. Thank you very much. But just out of curiosity shouldn’t install script do that when I install optimus-manager?

Thanks again!

if you mean modifying the sddm conf, that would be great if the install scripts were doing it …but they dont

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.