Opengl bug; huge window flickering in sublime text 4

i had set opengl as hardware acc for sublime text 4 for 2 months. i was using sublime text 4 with no problem for 2 months.

here is the video with flickering: sublime_screen_flickering.mp4 on Vimeo

yesterday got a manjaro big update, i think opengl was updated too.
my mesa package is version 21.3.2-1 right now.

my problem is presented very well in this post: Huge screen flickering and window rendering bugs - Technical Support - Sublime Forum

i think there is a bug in opengl, i mean, its obvious, because when i disable hardware acc for opengl in sublime the flickerings are gone.

info:

• manjaro 21 xfce
  • linux kernel 5.10.89-1
  • OpenGL version 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.3.2 is supported

distro info

âť±  ca /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=21.2.1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Qonos
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"

nivdia drivers

âť±   mhwd -l
> 0000:03:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

> 0000:01:00.0 (0302:10de:1c8d) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2021.12.18               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2021.12.18               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-470xx            2021.12.18               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-390xx            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:591b) Display controller Intel Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

I have a similar flickering issue while running Stellarium 0.21.3.

I was able to work around this either by downgrading Mesa from 21.3.3. to 21.2.5. Another way to work around this would be running the affected program on an alternate non-Intel GPU, if you have one.

There are already several issues reported upstream regarding this. See below:

Hopefully, this bug gets fixed sooner rather than later in a future Mesa release.

1 Like

okey then. i will not use opengl as rendering for sublime and i will wait for mesa to be fixed. thanks for reply.

Hi there!

Just wanted to let you know that Mesa 21.3.5. fixed my issues with flickering apps (In my case, Stellarium).

The version above has not made it to the Stable branch yet. Either you’ll have to wait until it is released or you might want to switch to the Testing branch temporarily if you prefer to install it ahead of time.

Cheers. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh! It is great news to know there is already a fix in the pipe. I am also suffering on my Dell XPS laptop w/ Intel 620 integrated graphics card.

I’m experiencing the exact same issue as what is being displayed in the video screen capture under the “Mesa 21.3.1 causes stuttering and glitching in Blender on Intel graphics…” link that @El_Brujo shared.

I recently met with a client with my and was unpleasantly surprised by this bug, which nearly ruined my live demo…
…so I am VERY much looking forward to testing the stable release fix for this, when it’s available.

Will report back as soon as the fix is in my hands and I have results.