OpenGL (and OpenCL) not working anymore after Ugrading to Nvidia 470.42.01

I’m using 5.4 with 470 on KDE now.

Im running cinnamon with the latest nvidia drivers (using prime though as I’m on laptop). I’ll see what I can reproduce, but I’m on testing branch rather than stable
Could be something to do with cinnamon being updated I guess but wouldn’t have thought so

I think Testing is currently on par with Stable.

1 Like

To be fair, the 470.42.01 driver is considered beta by nvidia… I’m not sure why it was pushed to the stable branch.

1 Like

This could be relevant: OpenCL compilation fails with `Unresolved extern function '__nv_fast_exp2f'` with drivers 470.42.01 - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

It’s not (EDIT: you probably made a typo, you meant 470 not 472?). Anyway, Manjaro uses the latest for video-nvidia package as far as I know.

Yes, I made a typo, I meant 470.42.01. Still, it’s a beta driver. Even Arch Linux only provides 465.X in its repositories.

I meant it’s not in Manjaro Stable. It may be a beta driver, but I think it fixes issues many people had with 465 (like no display when using DP) and was then pushed to Manjaro Unstable->Testing->Stable.

Branch compare shows it is. But I can’t say I fully understand what you mean, you say it’s not in stable, then you say it was then pushed to stable?

:man_facepalming: No. I said it is not in Stable because you wrote 472. Then I edited the post because I noticed you probably meant 470, which you confirmed. I didn’t rewrite the post. 470 is the current driver on all branches.

Yes, this indeed is the related issue. So NVIDIA 470.xx and even 471.11 obviously have this issue. Really annoying… Rolling back to 390.143 did help here …

Hi,
might even well be, that the issues I experienced with opencl and darktable after the upgrade to NVIDIA 470 happened, are related to the way darktable currently implements opencl!

There is an activity with darktable to cope with this, that very much looks like adressing the issues I saw. Now back down to NVIDIA 390 I have opencl available, what also matches to the reports for darktable:

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/opencl-not-detected-using-darktable-3-6-and-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-card/25840

and

https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/pull/9359

Looks like I’m here at the right time before breaking my system. I want to install cuda 11.1. My current setup is as follows:

Linux Kernel:  5.10.42-1
Nvidia Drivers:  465.31
Desktop Environment: KDE

I found that there are no mirrors providing nvidia-opencl-465x which is a required package for cuda 11.1. It’d be really helpful if you guide how should I proceed? What kernel, which drivers should I install to get this working?

I’m interested to know whether it’s possible to switch manjaro branch itself? I’d like to go back to somewhere with nvidia-455x drivers

EDIT: Just updated the system and got nvidia-470 drivers (kernel 5.10). I manually downloaded the cuda from archive here and so far everything looks good. Anything I should try to confirm whether OpenGL & OpenCL is working properly?

Because it fixes a shitload of issues relating to Displayport: 465.24.02 page fault - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Was not without merit, personally support this since a lot more people were experiencing the issues with Displayport than people experiencing this OpenCL issue.

I just updated to nvidia-utils 470.42.01-2 from 470.42.01-1 and it fixed this problem. It seems like all is well set for me.

I cannot get OpenCl running yet, but I imagine it is a combination of darktable specific things and the fact that the current 470.42 drivers are beta.

1 Like

Yes, it also fixed the crashing of telegram for me and the very poor performance of other apps. Firefox shows now the WebRender without that »(Software)« addition.
But scrolling in most apps contains still some choppy behavior that wasn’t there before, but maybe this is another issue or a wrong Xorg conf or something like that.

You mean you have tearing when scrolling down? Reconfigure your monitor in Nvidia maybe?

No, it’s not tearing. It feels more like micro stuttering. If I activate the visual API indicator on OpenGL in Nvidia Settings, it shows the FPS in apps like Firefox. Then it drops to low single digits for less than a second and then goes back up to 75. This occurs regularly, about every two or three seconds. Looks like something is interrupting the graphic card/driver/compositor/whatever every X seconds. But this behavior wasn’t there before.
Sure, this isn’t a major problem, but it’s annoying when a graphics card that can render games in 4K can’t render a 2D surface smoothly.

Sorry but Darktable with nvidia 470 and opencl still NOT working. 470 is beta and the last official driver on the nvidia page ist 465. Sorry guys, but that sucks a lot.

Yesterday’s updates seems to fix the matter, both Nvidia driver (470.57.02) and Darktable (3.6.0-2) was updated, but the fix come probably from Nvidia, the fix from Darktable side was supposed to come with 3.6.1