Openbox autostart not working after reinstall & restoring from backup

nothing from ~/.config/openbox/autostart boots up

maybe messed up permissions? tried set them correct, resave, but no help. what else can try? never had this issue before with openbox …

I don’t know - permissions - maybe - it would depend on how you backed them up initially and how you restored.

There is nothing inside the openbox config folder which requires executable bit - so the only permissions could be ownership and since everything inside your home should be owned by your user you could open a terminal inside your user home then use chown to ensure correct ownership.

Do ensure you are inside /home/$USER before doing this

sudo chown $USER:$USER . -R

nope, did not help …
it’s so odd, rc.xml works fine, and so does seemingly everything else

The commands in autostart file - have you forgotten and ampersand & as line ending? If you have the entire autostart will end with that line.

Have you tried copying the files from /etc/skel/.config/openbox to your home?

Does your ~/.xinitrc load the openbox-session? something like this?

openbox) dbus_args+=(openbox-session) ;;

Haha, yes, that was the issue - i had exec openbox, instead of exec openbox-session! Now everything works smooth.

It was weird Manjaro didn’t build a working .xinitrc itself out of the box, and thats why this mistake happened, because i had to set it myself, … and then didn’t bother to overwrite it anymore from a backup. Silly

But thanks :raised_hands:t3: :raised_hands:t3: :raised_hands:t3:

I suggest you look at the file found in /etc/skel/.xinitrc - I suspect you have restored a modifed version.