"Open With Other Application" change the default application

Hi everyone,

Bit of a noob here, but I am using Manjaro with Gnome and when I open a video (mp4 for exemple) I want to open it with MPV, so I set it as the default player for videos, but sometimes I want to encode with Handbreak so I go in “Open With Other Application” and I select Handbreak there.

But now, when I open a video, it opens with Handbreak by default and I have to select MPV in “Open With Other Application” to play the video. Is there any way of preventing the default app to change each time?

I use XFCE, but could be the same on gnome:

Rightclick on the file --> open with --> with another application --> click in the checkbox “Use by default for files of this type.” and choose the program.

1 Like

Alas, no. There is no option whatsoever in the selection menu… But thanks for the suggestion :smiley:

Since you’re on Gnome, follow the instructions provided here:
https://help.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/mime-types-application-user.html.en

If you set the default application for a MIME type, it will always be used for opening this type of file, unless you specify a different application that will be used individually.

1 Like

Well, i did hope there was a nice options menu or something but this seems to do the trick, thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.