Open Terminal can be enabled in Manjaro KDE: please enable it by default

I already linked you to the repo where you can create a “Merge Request (MR)” if you are able to make that change work on your side…
Only after that you can truly say “It was this simple”, until then please don’t try to push your opinion on people here who don’t have the power you are asking for…

Create a free account on that repo, make your changes, test it, and create a MR…
Then it’s up to the one who maintains that repo, yea no kidding one person, to accept it or not…
:vulcan_salute:
:woman_shrugging:

OK, here’s the deal. I’ll stop replying here. It was just a suggestion.

But what I expected was something more like that:

• OK, we’ll let maintainer_A and maintainer_B know, and they’ll decide on that.
  • OK, maybe we should ask maintainer_A and maintainer_B to do so, but maybe we should also make a poll to see: (a) how many KDE users are aware of this relatively new feature; (b) and how many want it enabled.
  • OK, this or a similar request regarding a recent KDE feature has been discussed elsewhere, and the decision was that generally, changes are to be made only in exceptional cases and/or only when upstream breaks something that our users were accustomed to. This doesn’t seem to be a case worth taking any action.

Not everything upstream does is sensible. I remember that I almost had a heart attack when Konsole 21.04 suddenly started showing the new, configurable toolbar, which was enabled by default, although it shouldn’t have been so. That time, KDE wanted to enable by default this new feature. I was surprised nobody asked to have it disabled by default. I, for one, had a terrible shock, because it looked like a “Microsoft moment”: someone knew better than me that I needed that eyesore feature right there, in front of my eyes. (I’m conservative enough, although I’m not using MATE anymore, and I just quit XFCE.)

Hehehehe, i think you are mistaking the people on this forum to be directly involved with the Manjaro packages…
We are not, those that are have a Title showing they are Manjaro staff (Employees, not mod etc) :wink:

I guess I mistook the forum’s section to be called Feature Request?

No you didn’t, you did fine…
And we didn’t shoot you for it either, just gave our opinions and pointed you towards the place to put it in their To-Do’s or provide your own change to accomplish it. :wink:

Trust me if we were objecting to a suggestion you would know for sure :slight_smile:

Really hope this happens. It’s the one Plasma feature I’ve wanted for ages. Just seems bizarre to me that it’s not the default.

Now, please don’t say that you’re also waiting for a Computer icon on the desktop :wink: :shushing_face:

I just discovered that what I asked for most likely cannot be done in Manjaro, despite being a very simple patch.

Why is that so? Because Manjaro,

• despite offering a complete rebuild of Arch’s packages;
  • despite being a highly customized/themed distro;
  • despite offering prebuilt packages that otherwise would have required AUR or 3rd-party repos;
  • despite being a major mainstream distro:
  • doesn’t apply patches to upstream packages!

From what I see, Manjaro’s customizations are obtained exclusively through adding packages to the rebuilds of upstream packages. A package such as manjaro-kde-settings can add files, but it cannot change the build of a package.

As it happens, the whole thing with the old Fedora patch that adds that menu entry and that has been integrated in KDE is that it’s exactly that: a patch to the sources. Fine, that one has been done by KDE.
But enabling that menu entry by default requires another patch, which in Fedora is this one:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/plasma-workspace/blob/rawhide/f/plasma-workspace-5.25.90-enable-open-terminal-action.patch

Elementary, but it has to be applied to the sources, before building the plasma-workspace package. And Manjaro prefers to build Arch’s packages without any changes. (Manjaro is not patching Arch the way Ubuntu patches Debian. Honestly, most of Ubuntu’s patches are stupid and add bugs, but the idea is correct.)

So now I discovered I was using a distro which, without using Arch directly, but through rebuilding its packages, did not use this philosophy as an opportunity to add subtle patches that would fix some uninspired upstream decisions.

I am stunned at my own stupidity. A distro with such a distinctive identity, and yet such a missed opportunity.

What’s the purpose of rebuilding Arch’s packages if the result is identical to the upstream, only with a different signature? Just for the sake of delaying “stable” and of creating branches (stable, testing, unstable; plus the specialized kde-unstable/plasma-daily which I don’t remember from which branch is derived, because “unstable” applies to KDE, not to the other packages; and even release-review within the testing branch) that are too many and confusing?

I was stupid; I suppose I still am. But I just realized that Manjaro is not what I need, despite being rock-solid, with minor incidents only over a couple of years. I have to look for another boat, and revisit some of the distros I’ve used in the past…

Farewell.

Hmm, this is not true.
An example would be all Manjaro kernels (e.g. linux61) where quite a few patches are applied.

Please review the Forum Rules: Forum Rules - Manjaro