Open Terminal can be enabled in Manjaro KDE: please enable it by default

Since Plasma 5.26, an “Open Terminal” menu item can be added to the desktop context menu, i.e. right-clicking on the desktop allows the user to open Konsole (or the default terminal) just as they can do in Dolphin!

Originally a Fedora patch, discontinued since F35, it now entered the upstream with Plasma 5.26!

Unfortunately, it’s not enabled by default. F37 does enable it, Manjaro doesn’t.

Please change the default as to enable it. Rationale: most users don’t know that they can now do such a thing!

https://paste.pics/LDDOJ

References:

• Bug 451217: “Open in terminal” menu item, like in Dolphin
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=451217
    RESOLVED FIXED Version Fixed In: 5.26
    Note that this new menu item is off by default and must be manually turned on.
  • This week in KDE: It’s a big one, folks [September 16, 2022]
    https://pointieststick.com/2022/09/16/this-week-in-kde-its-a-big-one-folks/
    You can now add an “Open Terminal” menu item to the desktop context menu if you want (Neal Gompa, Daniel Vrátil, Jan Grulich, Marc Deop, and Rex Dieter, Plasma 5.26.)

Yes, but CTRL + ALT + T is quicker. Plus you don’t have to be at the desktop.

Different distributions have their different “Look and feel”, nothing new there…
Why would Manjaro (or any distro) need to mimic the behavior of another one at all? :thinking:

If the user likes that feature they can configure their own setup to suit them already :wink:

1 Like

It was a constructive suggestion, geared towards helping the users.

The developers of KDE have added a new feature. Nobody forces you to use it. Actually, nobody forces you to right-click on the desktop!

But Manjaro isn’t Arch. Manjaro is customized to help the users, especially to have better defaults than the upstream packages. You could as well have asked: why should Manjaro provide preinstalled and preconfigured themes and icons, as long as they can be installed manually by the users, should they want to?

Make a poll. Ask KDE users how many are aware that they can enable this feature. Maybe 15%?

This menu entry is not enabled by default by the upstream because of use cases such as kiosks.

I expected not a rebuttal, but maybe a discussion among those responsible with the KDE packages, the KDE theming, or the KDE ISO.

Yes, but CTRL + ALT + T is quicker. Plus you don’t have to be at the desktop.

If so, maybe you should suggest to the makers of Dolphin to remove the corresponding entry from Dolphin’s contextual menu too! It’s not needed, as long as CTRL + ALT + T is quicker.

Hordes of users of several distros complained when Fedora’s patch couldn’t be used anymore. Now some of them are rejoicing. But some don’t even know they have reasons to be happy, because they don’t randomly try to edit the menu to see whether unexpected possibilities have been added!

My reply was not meant as a “rebuttal”…
But when it comes to KDE, i’m almost sure (99%) that Manjaro uses unmodified packages from their upstream (Arch linux) like they do with most of their packages.
They just make a selection of what is available in terms of version, to make it a little more stable for the end-users… :wink:
(There are not that many packages that are Manjaro specific)

So the best place to ask for such a change is on the Arch Linux packagers of KDE :wink:

But when it comes to KDE, i’m almost sure (99%) that Manjaro uses unmodified packages from their upstream (Arch linux) like they do with most of their packages.

Sure, but then Manjaro adds manjaro-kde-settings, and it does similarly with each spin that has a supported (read: themed) DE!

It’s manjaro-kde-settings that tunes different parts of the system, and it could include this little thing too.

(Actually, manjaro-kde-settings does too much, and so do manjaro-xfce-settings and the others, which are mutually exclusive because they all contain a file in common: /etc/skel/.xinitrc. Should I report this as a bug, because it is one, I’d definitely be told that people are not supposed to switch the DE, or if they do, they cannot use the Manjaro theming, unless they force the install.)

I forgot one thing: people coming from other desktop environments would actually expect a right-click on the desktop to be able to launch a terminal!

Ofcourse, report all and any bugs you find in stuff they make specific for Manjaro :+1:

In the many years i use Linux, with different distro’s, i have never felt the need for that…

1 Like

Ofcourse, report all and any bugs you find in stuff they make specific for Manjaro :+1:

Nope. Believe me, I had very bad experiences with other distros, on their forums. Sometimes, people don’t accept that a bug is a bug. “It’s a design decision.” Well, when two packages that are incompatible are not marked as mutually exclusive, then this is a bug. (To be fair, I only know more about .deb and .rpm, so I could not tell whether Arch packages have a tag that would mark them incompatible right away.)

This could probably be fixed by breaking each manjaro-*-settings in two packages, one of which to contain the common parts. So far, it looks like a single file raises conflicts, so I very much doubt anyone would care enough.

In the many years i use Linux, with different distro’s, i have never felt the need for that…

I felt that need with every single WM or DE I’ve used since 1994. But generally I disliked KDE4 and KDE5, so it didn’t affect me much :blush:

Yes they can AFAIK…
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_package_guidelines

Anyhow see the link i gave to the GitLab repo of Manjaro to create bug-issues…
This forum is just a community help center, where users like you and me try to help others with problems, but not a bug-tracker where the devs of parts interactively communicate.
(Yes sometimes even they appear here but that’s not the intention of the forum)

Anyhow see the link i gave to the GitLab repo of Manjaro to create bug-issues…

I knew the GitLab repo, but I try to avoid possible human conflicts right now.
(And I noticed in Octopi the “Conflicts With” field, so yes, conflicts can be set.)

Why, what’s the diff between the forum and the bug-tracking repo? :thinking:
We are all humans dont be shy :wink:

That’s a bug that might not be accepted as a bug. Trust me, I had my experiences with reporting bugs.

If you don’t try you will never know the diff between one group and the other…
Not every community that has bug trackers are run by the same people…

Plus, if the current doesn’t accept it as such, maybe the next one in years will…

I have and still have same kind of experiences all over the internet also, but like i said not everyone is the same.
Some are rude or solid minded, others are more open for constructive ideas.
(Worst case i encountered was the maker of uMatrix/uBlock, which is just plain stuborn way beyond autism)

With every added feature, someone must implement it and maintain it. Especially KDE adds hundreds of features and we see many bug reports here about what’s not working anymore.
Or the gnome-extensions which break after each update.

Changing the current process or default needs a better argument than: “I do this since 94”.

What would happen if this feature is added? Someone else will complain that they want a clean and slim menu and they are accustomed to this since 93. :person_shrugging:

Offtopic

You should see the developer of tt-rss.

With every added feature, someone must implement it and maintain it.

Oh, fsck. It’s a simple toggle. And a very simple feature that makes KDE, the oh-so-smart-and-complex DE, on par with the other DEs, most of which (if not all) have this feature for decades already!

KDE did the right thing here… except that they didn’t enable it by default. Manjaro’s crowd (by this I mean those of its users who are active on the forum) seem so negative.

In a recent comment somewhere on 9to5something, someone complained that Manjaro has a “toxic community” on the forums. I guess I’m gonna experience that.

I might report two not-to-be-ignored bugs later, when I have some time. About the kernel built by Manjaro. I’ll find out then whether the maintainers are also less than constructive.

FYI: Please keep the tone down, no need to shout using “!” we are all talking here as civil ppl :wink:

Well TBH, if ppl are toxic, they get toxic in return, what else can you expect from anyone?
As you can see from our debate here, no one is trying to be toxic at all…

2 Likes

If it is so simple, why don’t you just click it once and don’t push your will onto everybody else.

I guess Manjaro wants to stick to upstream packages as close as possible and if KDE disables this by default, Manjaro does as well.

It is not a simple toggle in the package deployment but a configuration file change. Someone has to maintain this and keep it updated when the underlying settings change (language, config names, file names, locations, …).

1 Like

On my system, I’ve made that Meta+K, but to the best of my knowledge — this may have changed in the meantime — Manjaro PLasma automatically starts Yakuake on login, and so a simple F12 automatically drops down a terminal window. The process is already running anyway, so it’s instantaneous.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Manjaro PLasma automatically starts Yakuake on login

I know. I deeply hate Yakuake. Why does Manjaro assume everyone loves Yakuake?!

Anyway, who is Manjaro? What people make the committee deciding, e.g., that

• everyone must (or most people might) like Yakuake
  • everyone must (or most people might) like the dark(ish) green font in Manjaro’s Konsole
  • (according to someone here) it’s too complicated to make a minimal change that enables a menu entry in Plasma?

Someone has to maintain this and keep it updated when the underlying settings change (language, config names, file names, locations, …).

100% BS. Nothing to do with any language. Upstream KDE already has everything in place, and what comes from Arch doesn’t change that; all I asked (I suggested as being a reasonable thing to do) is to enable the entry by default. Upstream won’t remove or change that menu entry too soon (if at all), as it has just been integrated from an old Fedora patch. And, it’s what people coming from other DEs would definitely love to have. Except that they knew that KDE doesn’t have that.

Or maybe everyone here is hating Fedora, so whatever they enable is a no-go. You’re free to do so.