ONLY "Reboot into Firmware interface" option on boot

Hello, After changing my motherboard (and CPU + GPU, because laptop). My system ran just as before except for 1 change. On boot “Checking Media” message appeared on the black screen for ~2-3 seconds and then the Lenovo logo will appear and then the system will boot and work just as before, there were no problems.

What I regret is my decision to do something about the message, I searched it up and followed this superuser post (https://superuser.com/questions/1313643/checking-media-fail-before-booting-the-os). I run the command sudo bootctl install and then after restart my computer.
To my horror, now, not only that message stayed but more importantly, IT DOESN’T BOOT nomore. And I get the below screen.

What should I do. Can anyone tell me :pray:

yes you followed but did you read it ?

from your link
Quote:" On my Arch Linux system (which uses systemd-boot), the convenient way is bootctl install."

sorry maid but a complete new install of manjaro might be the easier solution than go on swimming in the Gummiboot.

I thought it applied to manjaro as well because you know both being kinda same… Is there nothing we can do? My files are in there.

well they are “kind” but there are differences under the hood and yes maybe there is a workaround but i doubt that it is worth to spend the time evaluating it. this is sort of worst case when a new install is the way that keeps your blood-pressure in life-safe regions.

What can I do now, because reinstall would mean my data will be gone forever.

boot into a live-iso, mount your ide and backup the data to a external device.

and btw, never do an sudo rm -rf / even if there are tutorials in the net which claim it

iso mean i assume to boot into live env from pendrive

what does this mean?

exact

first boot into live-iso, open a filemanager and check if you can access your hard drive.

you could try to chroot and hope that it repairs it, but i’m not sure if it works, don’t blame me if not

1 Like

is there any other way than os reinstall. a way where everything stays the same. just like before? because all the reinstall would mean i would have to reinstall, configure, personalize, install all my softwares, transfer data etc. and I have exams coming up.

Were you using systemd-boot before or you just run whatever you see? :smiley:
Anyhow, you need to manually create boot entries for systemd-boot to work. When you do that, it’s 10x simpler and easier than GRUB.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/systemd-boot

And if you want GRUB back, jut remove systemd-boot, bootctl remove and follow manjaro wiki on reinstalling grub.

2 Likes

So the best way for me to go about will be to enter live environment of the manjaro through pendrive and back up my data.
Then, try to restore grub. If it doesn’t work, reinstallation would be my only option. Right?

Also, how do I excecute the data backup through the live environment?

If installing systemd-boot is all you did, then you don’t need to reinstall, don’t worry.

Yes, chroot, remove systemd-boot, reinstall grub, update grub and optionally reinstall whatever kernels you are using.

1 Like

Yes. I opened the terminal, ran sudo bootctl install, closed the terminal, and restarted my laptop.

I’m new (as you would have known by now) so can you elaborate on

I already wrote command how to remove systemd-boot, and for chroot and grub restore steps check and read wiki link @Oli posted.

If you get stuck anywhere, post what you did and what was output or what you are not sure of.

1 Like

IT WORKED !!!

I started the manjaro live-iso environment and first backed up my files on another pendrive for safety (files showed up as root device on the file explorer itself).

Then in the terminal, ran
su
manjaro-chroot -a
bootctl remove
pacman -Syyuu grub
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
exit
exit
exit

Restarted and voila! Done.
Thanks @zbe and @Olli

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.