On network issues

sudo systemctl disable --now systemd-networkd.service                                                                                              ✔ 

[sudo] password for : 
    ~  sudo systemctl enable --now NetworkManager                                                                                                  ✔  6s  

   ~                                         

I entered the commands before reboot, no change; entered them again, still no change.
When I reboot I get the network notification saying that network is connected but limited, no wifi shows. Still to get connected must enable dhcpcd

I see, then I’m out.

Beside the Previews post, make sure the System is up-to-date, and your pacnew files are on point. pacnew

pacdiff -o

I asked this question earlier. Perhaps you thought you answered it. You didn’t. I’ll ask it again:

Which kernel was the ax201 working with previously?

Revert to that kernel (the kernel that was working before, whichever that was).

Does your Internet scenario still work the way you were expecting when using that kernel (the kernel that was working before, whichever that was)?

If it does, then, problem solved.

Two things I saw in your pasted output (first state is the current state, second state is the preset aka default)

systemd-networkd-wait-online.service enabled enabled

It is disabled on my system (which is not Arch, but that should not matter).

systemctl status systemd-networkd-wait-online.service
○ systemd-networkd-wait-online.service - Wait for Network to be Configured
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd-wait-online.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
       Docs: man:systemd-networkd-wait-online.service(8)

I’m not sure what the expected system response is when this service is active - what happens when the service detects that the system becomes online.

ufw.service enabled disabled

the firewall is active - what it does depends on the rules it has been configured to use

I’d switch back to the kernel where everything was working if I could.

Thanks,
did that too just now

thank you for pointing that out but I am pretty sure I answered that in details, guess you thought you didn’t read it))) it’s right there (2 days ago, don’t know how to put here)

anyways no troubles

update, yesterday upgraded to kernel 6.6.7-4

again (no disrespect) I tried going back to previous kernel 6.1.68-1, that was working before, not anymore
my system, connection, or anything else has not changed since I installed manjaro 2 years ago. everything was rock solid until I started this tread

If indeed literally nothing changed - except what was “changed” by the update
(and no one else was affected by it in this way)
then it is very much a mystery to me - and I have no suggestions on how to approach this.
Sorry.

thank you anyhow
tried also kernel 6.5, no change

the network icon is inactive (although at boot says connected but limited…but not connectes) , the wifi is on but no connection shows, only way to connect still dhcpcd…mystery alright and crazy

… sounds a bit like a (accidentally?) messed up NetworkManager configuration.

You likely did check that already.

(right click the icon - edit connections (or however it is in the english locale) and check every aspect in the six tabs available, especially the IPv4 and IPv6 options (of which you really only need one)

addition:
in my Manjaro VM
this service

systemd-networkd-wait-online.service

is definitely NOT active

althoug it’s preset/default condition is “enabled”
it is “disabled” - but I did definitely not set it to “disabled”

Your’s is active - which is not the default …

I’m referring to what you pasted to

https://paste.c-net.org/TonaneJuggle

I hadn’t change anything in network manager, once the connection was configured, never went there

anyway, did it again just now, also disabling IPv6, no change
isn’t there a way to uninstall networkmanager, disable all conflicts, and reinstall networkmanager easily?
or go to some default scheme?

this disables that?
cause I try it everytime I boot

sudo systemctl disable --now systemd-networkd.service

All your created connections are in:
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections

I’m not sure what you mean by:

especially the “conflicts” part

There should not be any “conflicts”.

Of course you can uninstall it - but nothing will have changed after installing it again.

default scheme: remove all your connections from:
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections

Also:

no
this does not disable:

systemd-networkd-wait-online.service

it is a different service - different name

the disabling only needs to be done once - it won’t magically re-enable itself

for conflicts, I mean at some point in the thread I was told to disable dhcpcd.service, iw.service etc, but if nothing changes the it was a thing not relevant to say by me (guess on possible on windows)

I’m not going back to that - they where trying to making sure that no conflicting services are running - interfering with one another.

… but didn’t you just say that you literally didn’t change nothing … :man_shrugging:
That is clearly not true after having read this …
because that service isn’t active by default
if it was active, it was you who did it :man_shrugging:

The only thing you need active is
NetworkManager.service

ok so I disabled that
https://paste.c-net.org/ReferredPolgara

then I enable network.manager
   ~  sudo systemctl enable --now NetworkManager  :heavy_check_mark:

but still looks disabled (rebooted and all)

it seems like I can’t enable NetworkManager.service with
   ~  sudo systemctl enable --now NetworkManager.service  :heavy_check_mark:

… what does the result look like?
systemctl status NetworkManager.service

… you don’t need sudo for that, btw. …

next I’d go to check on
usb tethering
your phone - to use it’s connection

which also does not seem to work - for some likely very different reason …
… or wireless hotspot from it - which again points to NetworkManager or a (wlan) driver issue

Well, no, you didn’t; at least, not with any clarity. You seem to be contradicting yourself. Now, you write:

However, earlier you wrote:

… and this:

… and this:

Exactly which kernel version actually did work for you before you had this trouble? Can you not see how non-specific your responses have been? :slight_smile:

If I understand your vague claims, you haven’t opened NetworkManager to see if a WiFi connection is configured, and not working seems to be based purely on the state of the status icon.

Well, I have places to be. Good luck.

systemctl status NetworkManager.service                                                                                                     ✔  7s  

● NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2023-12-20 08:29:25 CET; 9min ago
       Docs: man:NetworkManager(8)
   Main PID: 435 (NetworkManager)
      Tasks: 4 (limit: 18690)
     Memory: 19.1M
        CPU: 188ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/NetworkManager.service
             └─435 /usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

dic 20 08:29:25 gianluca-latitude5410 NetworkManager[435]: <info>  [1703057365.9535] Wi-Fi P2P device added on phy0
dic 20 08:29:25 gianluca-latitude5410 NetworkManager[435]: <info>  [1703057365.9538] manager: (/net/connman/iwd/0): new 802.11 Wi-Fi P2P device (/org/freedesktop>
dic 20 08:29:25 gianluca-latitude5410 NetworkManager[435]: <info>  [1703057365.9550] manager: (wlan0): new 802.11 Wi-Fi device (/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/D>
dic 20 08:29:25 gianluca-latitude5410 NetworkManager[435]: <info>  [1703057365.9566] device (wlan0): new IWD device state is disconnected
dic 20 08:29:25 gianluca-latitude5410 NetworkManager[435]: <warn>  [1703057365.9586] device (/net/connman/iwd/0): not in expected unavailable state!
dic 20 08:29:26 gianluca-latitude5410 NetworkManager[435]: <info>  [1703057366.2685] manager: (F0:62:5A:59:D6:1A): new Bluetooth device (/org/freedesktop/Network>
dic 20 08:33:35 gianluca-latitude5410 NetworkManager[435]: <info>  [1703057615.6352] manager: NetworkManager state is now ASLEEP
dic 20 08:33:35 gianluca-latitude5410 NetworkManager[435]: <info>  [1703057615.6382] agent-manager: agent[64d3038de62f7c76,:1.39/org.kde.plasma.networkmanagement>
dic 20 08:34:52 gianluca-latitude5410 NetworkManager[435]: <info>  [1703057692.0044] device (wlan0): new IWD device state is connecting
dic 20 08:34:52 gianluca-latitude5410 NetworkManager[435]: <info>  [1703057692.1412] device (wlan0): new IWD device state is connected

always connecting through my phone hotspot, restarting dhcpcd after booting

Let me see whether I understand the situation:
you are connecting wirelessly (Wlan) to your phone, which you configured as a wlan hotspot and thus you are using the phones internet connection.
Correct?
That would mean that there is no problem with the wlan adapter in your computer.

Make sure that this service is disabled (or even uninstall dhcpcd) - you have NetworkManager active and it should deal with all aspects of your connection.

no you don’t understand my claims…and still not reading right

How come you have iwd installed? Is that included in iso? What happens if you remove it?