Official mirror databases download issues

There seem to be issues with mirrors.manjaro.org and mirrors2.manjaro.org today. You can see this if your mirrors are set to mirrors.manjaro.org and mirrors2.manjaro.org (can be set with sudo pacman-mirrors --country Global --interactive) and then running a quick test of sudo pacman -Syy. Today, this seems to result in databases failing to download.

Here is output from a couple of my attempts. I tried at least 4 times before switching mirrors.

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                  144.7 KiB  81.5 KiB/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 extra                   8.6 MiB   862 KiB/s 00:10 [######################] 100%
 multilib              144.3 KiB   115 KiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.manjaro.org : Failed to connect to mirrors.manjaro.org port 443 after 10000 ms: Timeout was reached
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from mirrors.manjaro.org : Failed to connect to mirrors.manjaro.org port 443 after 10000 ms: Timeout was reached
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core.db failed to download
 extra                                                                           8.6 MiB  6.28 MiB/s 00:01 [################################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                      144.3 KiB  1443 KiB/s 00:00 [################################################################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.manjaro.org : Failed to connect to mirrors.manjaro.org port 443 after 10001 ms: Timeout was reached
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors2.manjaro.org : Failed to connect to mirrors2.manjaro.org port 443 after 10001 ms: Timeout was reached
error: failed to synchronize all databases (download library error)

I ended up switching mirrors with sudo pacman-mirrors --country Canada --interactive and picking something else in there with a relatively recent sync, even though the global mirrors at mirrors.manjaro.org and mirrors2.manjaro.org have usually worked consistently with very low sync latency.

In case this matters for edge server location, I’m located in New Westminster, Canada, which is very close to Vancouver, Canada.

I’m just reporting this so that anyone looking after these mirrors is aware of the issue. If there is a better place to report issues like this, please let me know.

In regards to you switching to a Canadian mirror, I would suggest not limiting yourself to them, because as of right now none of the Canadian mirrors are up to date, that is according to https://repo.manjaro.org

I’m also in Canada, and oftentimes even when the mirrors in Canada are up to date, usually for me several mirrors from the USA are up-to-date and faster.

1 Like

Thanks for that idea.

I seem to have encountered a bug in pacman-mirrors. I tried to use sudo pacman-mirrors --country Canada,United_States,Global --interactive and that showed only United_States and Global mirrors, but not Canada mirrors. This makes no sense because when I use just Canada on its own, like with sudo pacman-mirrors --country Canada --interactive, 3 mirrors do show up. Something’s very weird. I’d like just 1 command that I can use to include all 3 countries that I’d like to query, but I guess there’s a bug.

For now, I’ve switched to using https://ziply.mm.fcix.net/manjaro/ as that seems to have extremely low latency for me and seems to have a very recent sync too. It’s a USA mirror, but probably very near where I live. I appreciate the suggestion.

There was a topic that the global CDN will be changed to amazon. Manjaro2 is definitely that, that is a random amazon server from the pool (but you cannot choose which).
Either you got unlucky (retry) or the admins are changing settings and the dns is not refreshed, maybe by you isp.

No, that’s incorrect. They didn’t switch providers, they still use CDN77. The technology is S3.

Sorry if i misunderstood than. But in any case, there was a change.

Yep, see this thread:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/testing-a-new-approach-for-package-repository-via-cdn/152921/19