OBS Studio doesn't seem to see my screen in Manjaro GNOME

I’m trying to record my screen and OBS Studio just gives a blank screen when I select my display. I tried other desktop environments and window managers such as i3 and Cinnamon and they worked but I really don’t want to use another desktop environment just to record my screen. What should I do? Thanks.

1 Like

You could use Gnome with X11, you’re defaulting to Wayland probably.

Works fine here on wayland, but you need pipewire installed instead of the manjaro default pulseaudio.
Can’t remember exactly but there were some culprits when installing manjaro-pipewire.
I think installing through yay worked instead of pacman, e.g. yay -S manjaro-pipewire

Why not use the default pamac ? Inviting new user to use tools that they are not aware of, might create more confusion than help them …

pamac install manjaro-pipewire
Or via the Pamac UI that is the most straight forward way to install packages for those that have reticence to use CLI.

Because in this special case Pamac ui failed because of dependency errors and deinstalling pulseaudio at the same time it could not manage.
This may be fixed now.

Hi, I’m having the same issue on the same setup (Manjaro GNOME 44.3 on Wayland). OBS installed via Flatpak via pamac, since Flatpak is the only official OBS release channel for any other distro than Ubuntu.

OBS UI starts OK and in Wayland mode (can tell immediately because I have fractional scaling enabled). Audio capture works fine.

I did not install manjaro-pipewire yet.
Pipewire screen capture shows up in sources, once added I get to select the screen but afterwards this yellow icon appears on the top bar:
The yellow icon
and the screen capture preview in OBS stays black, as is on the recording. I tried left- and right-clicking the icon, but it disappears without any explanation.

I’ve read that pipewire capture the screen thanks to a WebRTC socket, but I’m guessing the yellow icon says that the connection was rejected. Can someone tell me what the icon means exactly and where I can configure the screen sharing permissions on Gnome so that OBS can record the screen correctly in native Wayland mode?

Also to note, this same icon appears when trying to share my screen in Discord and FireFox, with the same issue (black screen, no preview).

Also, based on this Mutter documentation and some other Wayland-WebRTC support github page I can’t find at the moment, I also tried installing gnome-remote-desktop in an attempt to get “Screen Sharing” section visible in “Sharing” of GNOME Settings, but this only shows “Remote Desktop”. Enabling the remote desktop did not solve the issue, so I removed the gnome-remote-desktop package since I don’t need it (and leaving it could be an attack vector).

UPDATE/SOLUTION:
I installed manjaro-pipewire with the following one-liner I prepared for myself as part of my OS config script, as dependencies for proper Open Broadcaster Studio functioning:

pamac install --as-deps pipewire-v4l2 pipewire-zeroconf wireplumber qpwgraph manjaro-pipewire

(there was --no-confirm option too which makes pamac skip the Yes/no questions, but I removed it for the post).

In the meantime, I tested Kooha the simple screen recorder and it recorded the screen just fine; I also learned by trial-and-error that the yellow icon above means “Screen is being shared right now, click it to stop sharing”. So if you want to share the screen to Kooha or OBS for recording, you must refrain yourself from clicking it. If you click it, the screen is going to freeze on the recording, or turn black.

I came back to OBS and by a miss-click I noticed the shared screen was misplaced on the canvas (out of bounds image, which is why I didn’t see it on the preview nor the recording). I dragged it back into the preview and OBS seems to work correctly now.

Issue solved for me.

1 Like