Nvidia GPU over Thunderbolt Freezes with Open Source Drivers

Hello everyone, I have been using manjaro for a few years now on my desktop(all amd), and have recently restored a liquid damaged 13" 2017 macbook pro non-touchbar (with 2 thunderbolt ports) . I have installed manjaro 23.1.3, and I am running the 6.6.10-1 LTS kernel. I am working on a project involving adapting a proprietary HP m.2 gtx 950m, but for now I am just trying to get a normal GTX 1070 to work. I have it connected via a JHL7440 thunderbolt controller. My goal is to use the internal display.

I have installed manjaro a few different times with the gpu connected, both with proprietary and open source drivers. Either way, after installation the machine will not boot with the gpu connected. If I hotplug(plug in) it after I boot, the whole machine freezes with proprietary drivers, with the open drivers everything but the mouse freezes. Adding itb=off to the kernel parameters did not help.

I tried removing the drivers through mhwd, and installing the hybrid prime drivers in manjaro settings. This also would not boot when connected/freeze when hotplugged. The closest I’ve gotten was following this forum post on framework’s form(I seem to not be allowed to post a link, google framework manjaro egpu). I reinstalled manjaro again with the open source drivers and egpu connected. Then I downloaded the two packages from manjaro’s gitlab and used makepkg -sci to build and install them(EDIT: These packages are nvidia-open-dkms and nvidia-utils). Now I can hotplug without crashes, but running DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo -B | grep OpenGL now gives me:

grep output

glx: failed to create dri3 screen
failed to load driver: nouveau
OpenGL vendor string: Intel
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics 640 (Kaby Lake GT3e) (KBL GT3)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 23.3.3-manjaro1.1
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 23.3.3-manjaro1.1
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 23.3.3-manjaro1.1
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

The device shows up in lspci.
It also shows in with inxi -G.

I made sure wayland isn’t running either. I just selected Xorg at the login screen and ran echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE to make sure (it says X11). I am stumped.