Nvidia Driver Installation Problem

I think I couldn’t explain myself, I already know that. Drivers in the GUİ and the driver from the website is entirely different. I did this twice, It was working flawlessly. I want to use Nvidia alone and completely disable Intel. With GUİ drivers I can’t do that, and they are freezing in games, don’t work.

If you don’t want to use it as prime, then don’t install prime.

Instead of video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime, just install video-nvidia-450xx and intel will not be used.

mhwd -r video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime
mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-450xx

Did you do this?

1 Like

Could you not just install optimus manager or optimus switch and then just switch to nvidia from there? That way it would always run nvidia

I get this:

“error: target not found: linux59-nvidia-450xx”
“Error: pacman failed!”
“Error: script failed!”

What says?

mhwd -l && mhwd -li

If you use iGPU Intel and dGPU Nvidia, then this could be a solution: NVIDIA Optimus - ArchWiki

Oh no. Check the following: Nvidia opencl not working with kernel 5.9 and The end of Nvidia proprietary Drivers on Linux !?! .

Try an older kernel: 5.4 or 5.8.

Ok, I have installed vide-nvidia-450xx. This is current info:

$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL

OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.1.8
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 20.1.8
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 20.1.8
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

So I need to completely disable intel. But how?

LoL. I am writing from mobile :slight_smile: After reboot I got a black screen. What now?

Press Ctrl+Alt+F4, log in, and check the logs.

I logged in. How can I check logs?

Check the most recent Xorg log in ~/.local/share/xorg/ or /var/log/. But first check if Xorg is running or not: if pidof Xorg shows anything, then it’s running. By the way, which kernel are you running? If it’s 5.9, then please downgrade to 5.4 or 5.8.

Kernel now 5.8
pidof return is: “913”
This is the log file:

Is it still booting to a black screen? If so, please run

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-450xx
sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime

and reboot.

I got booted. Thank you.
İt didn’t install prime. Now I installed it via system settings.
I rebooted again and no problem.

So, back to the zero point. How can I completely disable Intel GPU? Otherwise, it won’t let NVidia work.

What is going to show the images on the integrated display then? If your BIOS has an option to exclusively use discrete GPU, then you can use that. Otherwise the integrated GPU must be active and the i915 driver must be loaded, and the modesetting (or intel) Xorg driver must be loaded.

Please elaborate.

Ok, I did this 2-3 times in the past with the help of a friend in the forum, I was following the instructions but I can’t find the topic; possibly archived.
Anyway, in those instructions I didn’t use prime or nvidia-440xx. I directly installed the .run file from nvidia website in the black screen. And it worked flawlessly for months. When I applied the code:

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

I would only see NVidia without any intel.
If I knew I wouldn’t be able to install this way again, I wouldn’t format.

With this setup, when I am in game it still uses intel GPU and extremely freezes. How am I sure of it? Because, when it was with NVidia setup, it was pouring like water.

What do you suggest?

You can use prime-run <PROGRAM> to allow a program utilize the nvidia gpu. E.g. prime-run glxinfo | grep "OpenGL vendor" should print “NVIDIA Corporation”.

1 Like

Thank you for your help; I will try it.

• And then any application you want to run on the nVidea, just precede that with prime-run as well.

You can also:

• copy the .desktop file of any application from /usr/share/applications/ to your desktop
  • then edit that file in an editor and change the Exec=ApplicationName to Exec=prime-run ApplicationName
  • then that icon for that application on your desktop will exclusively run on nVidia.

If you game, lutris.desktop is a prime candidate (pun intended) :grin: