Nvidia-dkms needed for patched kernel... how to proceed?

I’m running Manjaro, but using a patched kernel from AUR since it has some nice fixes for my system. (It’s the linux-zen-g14 kernel running on my Asus Zephyrus G14 GA401IV_GA401IV.) I read somewhere that in order to have my Nvidia drivers rebuilt with each kernel update, I needed to switch to nvidia-dkms. Some time back I got the nvidia-dkms driver installed, don’t remember how :confused:… It rebuilds with each kernel update, but it doesn’t seem to update between versions of nvidia drivers.

When I try to sudo pacman -S nvidia-dkms, I get “Target not found: nvidia-dkms.” I’m starting to think that nvidia-dkms is available in the Arch repositories, but not Manjaro. I’ve seen in this thread some advice to not mix Arch packages in with Manjaro. I’m thinking of trying with nvidia-beta-dkms from AUR–I have no need for a beta driver, but at least I can easily install it.

Is there a reason nvidia-dkms drivers aren’t brought over to Manjaro? Have I backed myself into a corner by trying to use a custom kernel?

Thanks for any help you can give!

The nvidia-beta-dkms provides Nvidia 455 drivers if you just look at the package.
You will also need other nvidia-beta type of packages to have the full pack of drivers (trying to find my notes about that, will reply if I find it before someone else lists it all).

//EDIT: Can’t find my notes but it seems you’ll need nvidia-beta-dkms nvidia-settings-beta nvidia-utils-beta opencl-nvidia-beta and probably also lib32-nvidia-utils-beta lib32-opencl-nvidia-beta

I had notes from when I figured it out a while back and got everything working, I probably scraped them, but the trouble wasn’t worth it, it was to use the liquorix kernel and/or some other “optimized” kernel, but frankly I never crashed before with official kernels and had proper performance already… I crashed multiple time with these custom kernels so I said F.-it, let roll back to normal setup, don’t listen to people telling you that it will make a whole lot of a difference in performance (if that was why you went through that process).

nvidia-dkms is not needed in Manjaro. And if you need you have the AUR :slight_smile:

No, just that it sucks and you’ll need to build everything around it now, more work for no benefits, unless you absolutely require to use custom kernels, seriously not worth it, fun experiment if this is your jam, but really, why?.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and advice. I did go the nvidia-dkms-beta route and I hadn’t installed some of those packages.

I’m using a custom kernel simply because I have a new-ish laptop that requires some patches to get things like backlight control working. At some point, I think these things will become part of the mainline kernel. I’ll just have to keep an eye somehow on changelogs for when they do.

Hmm, I thought I had posted here already, and don’t see my message now…
Anyway, what you can also do is installing Arch packages (nvidia-dkms and so on). nvidia-dkms-beta is not that good because it is beta.

Please excuse me for not being able to offer a fix. I think I have the same laptop as you. I just installed Manjaro 20. Now, my battery life went from 12 hours to two. Its overheating and overthrottling, fans are on always. is this what is going on with you? Have you found any solution yet?
Thanks!

Yes, as mentioned in OP I’ve seen some advice to not mix Arch packages with Manjaro. Do you have an opinion on this?

Agreed that beta isn’t preferable unless you need it (which I probably don’t), but nvidia-dkms non-beta isn’t available via AUR, so as you say, I’d need to go with the Arch package.

@Artisto you may benefit from some tweaks. The ZephyrusG14 subreddit has some good information. Here are a couple helpful guides I found through that:

Note that not everything is the same on Manjaro, hence the thread above. I would like to document what worked for me on Manjaro, but haven’t had time.

The basics of what I have done are:

• Install the patched kernel
  • Change Grub kernel parameters just like in the Arch posts linked above
  • Install nvidia-beta-dkms from AUR, as I mentioned in original post

Unfortunately, I don’t think my story is a successful one at this point. I still have power draw around 40W (you can check using a tool called powertop). I think I probably messed up the graphics card situation by installing the nvidia dkms driver as detailed above. This is needed for the patched kernel, which fixes function keys. Before I had the patched kernel, I was using video-hybrid-amd-nvidia for my graphics configuration and the power draw was lower I think.

I’m relatively new to this, just trying to build my understand. Sorry it’s not a clear path. I’ll update if I figure something out!

My opinion is

• Don’t, if you’re not sure about consequences
  • Do, if you realize how to tackle them.

Yes, I think I opened this thread to try to understand potential consequences a bit better. Sometimes hard to get started on that.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.