[Nvidia] Deprecation of 340xx driver series

We had a good run with Nvidia 340xx driver series. However, at some point also we have to drop that driver. With Manjaro 19.0 release we will remove that driver from mhwd-db. This means the driver won’t be recommended or detected by our distro by default. 340.108 was the last release by Nvidia to support X 1.20 and Kernel 5.4. As soon as there is an update to X that driver is gone.

• Keep nvidia-340xx in the repos as long as possible
  • Drop nvidia-340xx right now

0 voters

5 Likes

I don’t see any reason to remove old drivers from repo. Why? To make sure people don’t use Manjaro on old hardware?

3 Likes

Nvidia simply don’t support and develops that driver anymore. So only Distro maintainers who patch it keep it alive. With 5.9 kernel series there is no patch-set anymore. So 5.8 kernel series was the last series we can support it.

1 Like

Hi Phil, let’s drop 440xx in favor of 450xx, too! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

@openminded yeah, @philm please give us the Nvidia 450 driver in mhwd :slight_smile:

It takes time to add that. Part is done. We can push the packages first and then work on the mhwd integration.

8 Likes

That would be awesome, I think everyone will appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does this mean that with the release of kernel 5.9 this driver will disappear or can it be used by those who use the old kernel?

This is not a Manjaro’s issue. It is a NVIDIA issue. NVIDIA decided to discontinued old hardware in their new drivers. I’m suffering this on Centos, as I have an old GPU card and I recently upgraded to CENTOS 8 because EOL. However I do not blame to SO providers the decisions of vendors. Blame Nvidia if you most.

2 Likes

Hello, first of all thatk you for your job and for mantaining old drivers as long as you can.
I have a old nvidia card and I use nvidia 340.

So, will kernel 5.8 serie be the last with nvidia-340xx support?
In this moment I don’t see nvidia–340xx driver also for linux58, isn’t it?

Have I to plan for using nouveau? This way I have to return using ext4 with linux419, because latest kernels with nouveau don’t support suspension on my notebook.

1 Like

Even nvidia-304 still works just fine with a bit of patching… So unless you have a card older than 15 years, you should be just good.

Not that I think that would do much in redeeming nouveau, but you should report that bug I guess.

Nvidia 350 has the same hardware support than 340? If no, i would maintain this…

1 Like

new version xorg is coming
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=X.Org-Server-1.20.9-Released

1 Like

Anyone notice performance issue with 350.xx over 340.xx ? Especially with games running via wine ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Thanks

It’s already available in unstable and testing ( Manjaro - Branch Compare ) although not (yet?) in today’s stable-staging:
[Stable Staging Update] 2020-08-26 - Kernels, PAM, PAMBASE, KDE-git, Deepin, Pamac, Nvidia 450.66, LibreOffice 7.0

I am running testing:

$ pacman -Qi xorg-server
Name            : xorg-server
Version         : 1.20.9-1
Description     : Xorg X server
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://xorg.freedesktop.org
Licenses        : custom
Groups          : xorg
Provides        : X-ABI-VIDEODRV_VERSION=24.0  X-ABI-XINPUT_VERSION=24.1  X-ABI-EXTENSION_VERSION=10.0  x-server
Depends On      : libepoxy  libxfont2  pixman  xorg-server-common  libunwind  dbus  libgl  xf86-input-libinput  nettle
                  libpciaccess  libdrm  libxshmfence
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : nvidia-340xx-utils  sddm
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : nvidia-utils<=331.20  glamor-egl  xf86-video-modesetting
Replaces        : glamor-egl  xf86-video-modesetting
Installed Size  : 3.64 MiB
Packager        : Philip Mueller <philm@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:54:01 AM EDT
Install Date    : Wed 26 Aug 2020 07:14:01 AM EDT
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed

And Manjaro Settings Manager > Hardware Config says I have video-nvidia-340xx and pacman says I have installed it with Linux 5.4

$ pacman -Qi linux54-nvidia-340xx 
Name            : linux54-nvidia-340xx
Version         : 340.108-60
Description     : NVIDIA drivers for linux.
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://www.nvidia.com/
Licenses        : custom
Groups          : linux54-extramodules
Provides        : linux54-nvidia-340xx
Depends On      : linux54  nvidia-340xx-utils=340.108
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : linux54-nvidia-390xx  linux54-nvidia-418xx  linux54-nvidia-430xx  linux54-nvidia-435xx
                  linux54-nvidia-440xx  linux54-nvidia-450xx
Replaces        : linux54-nvidia
Installed Size  : 4.71 MiB
Packager        : Helmut Stult <helmut@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Sat 22 Aug 2020 11:40:18 AM EDT
Install Date    : Sun 23 Aug 2020 03:21:42 PM EDT
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : Yes
Validated By    : Signature

And so far, so good.

3 Likes

That’s a minor release, so it means nothing. ABI_VIDEODRV_VERSION is still the same.

see this

really? that would be great, because I can use an actual kernel like linux5.8 and don´t have to stay with linux5.4 …

regards
caho

I would maintain not myself but the answer to the question above

1 Like