Nvidia-455xx-dkms disappeared from AUR, nvidia-dkms not in manjaro repo

Hi,

I’m usually running the xanmod kernel and until yesterday, I could add the nvidia driver with the package nvidia-455xx-dkms in the AUR and keep a standard manjaro kernel installed with the nvidia driver provided by mhwd as a backup. The 455 dkms package disappeared from aur and now I can’t use a custom kernel with nvidia 455 anymore, the only way is to install the nvidia-beta-dkms package that try to remove the mhwd installed driver, this way I don’t have a working manjaro standard kernel as backup.
Adding the nvidia-dkms package to manjaro repositories would allow to use some custom kernel without relying on custom aur packages or manually install it, can you please consider to add this package?

4 Likes

see here

https://lists.manjaro.org/pipermail/manjaro-packages/Week-of-Mon-20201130/034008.html

what I should see in this changelist? there isn’t any dkms package changed

Hello
nvidia-455xx-dkms was one of my packages.
It was created for users with custom kernels, but arch users already have dkms in, so they no longer need it in AUR and I’ve got a deletion request.
This was initially a bad idea to create any dependent packages in AUR when I don’t use Arch due to the fact that packages in Arch and Manjaro are updating at different time, so they have different versions and Arch users that tried to install or update it experienced troubles.
So I think we need nvidia-dkms package in Manjaro repo too.
You can find my PKGBUILD here: pastebin. com/zwZYdRFw

1 Like

How likely is the possibility that nvidia-dkms packages for Manjaro will be created in the near future? Who do we talk to about this?

3 Likes

I was also unable to find linux-zen in manjaro’s repositories, so I’m building aur/linux-zen-git. It’s going to be annoying to add a nvidia module to it though, if nvidia-dkms doesn’t exist anymore. There’s aur/nvidia-dkms-performance though, maybe that can work in the meantime.

Is there a place where we can know why those packages that exist on arch don’t exist on manjaro’s repositories ?

2 Likes

I found out that the linux510 manjaro kernel actually has the modules I needed from zen, but I only knew that when I looked at the gitlab builds and their config.

Is there a way to find out all the modules in a kernel ? I know there’s lsmod for loadable kernels, but what about built-in modules ?

Can we get feedback from Manjaro developers please? Is this feasible?

I would like to see nvidia-dkms packages present in Manjaro repos too - since my system is running a custom patched kernel (ACS), and dkms drivers made updating the OS a snap.

Currently we have these dkms variants in AUR, but none are suitable to be used as mainstream drivers imho (too old, too beta, etc.):
nvidia-340xx-dkms
nvidia-340xx-lts-dkms
nvidia-390xx-dkms
nvidia-beta-dkms
nvidia-dkms-performance
nvidia-vulkan-dkms

and all the now extinct dkms packages which existed before, have been removed, since it was deemed that AUR was not a good home for them.

1 Like

This thread is being dragged for too way too long. It’s an old issue that is trivial to fix with packaging, but is annoying for quite a few. And nobody seems to respond. -.-

Just pushed to unstable branch

5 Likes

And the day of not panicking using the AUR DKMS stuff has finally come!

It is now in the testing branch - Manjaro - Branch Compare

We’re almost there!

Thank you :blush:

Finally updated after 4 months of holding off. Hooray!
Next time - don’t remove anything before a suitable replacement is in place - pretty please.