Nvidia 340xx driver doesn't let me use my native resolution neither use xrandr

as the title says, i’m trying to install the 340xx driver for my gpu (GTS 250), but it reboots to a completely weird resolution and xrandr adds the wrong mode to the wrong output, i already tried editing the commands. i really do need help on this. any help is appreciated

That means you have a Desktop PC, but are you sure that GPU is not supported by the 390xx driver?

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

Please read this:

and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)

:innocent:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU you have, …
P.P.S. @bogdancovaciu: I checked and the latest driver that supports the GTS250 is indeed the 340 series…

2 Likes

Thanks for that! had no time to check that myself yet. :slight_smile: Hopefully will help the OP to take a decision.

2 Likes

the log is so big i had to put it in pastebin, pastebin. pl/view/4da47484
Noveau works fine with my commands on xrandr to support my resolution of 1280x1024 (seems to me that this resolution has something funny in it.)

Found it!

Your monitor’s resolution gets detected as standard VGA:

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA G92 [GeForce GTS 250] vendor: XFX Pine
  driver: nvidia v: 340.108 alternate: nouveau
  bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0615
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia
  display ID: :0.0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 640x480 s-dpi: 96
  s-size: 169x127mm (6.7x5.0") s-diag: 211mm (8.3")
  Monitor-1: DVI-I-0 res: 640x480 hz: 60
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2
  v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108 direct render: Yes 

(640x480) which only happens if you have a dodgy cable. Try changing the cable first!

1. Can I have the output of xrandr after you’ve changed the cable?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  2. do you have the exact brand / model number (or better: the technical specifications) of your monitor?
1 Like

My monitor is a Philips 170S, i don’t have a spare cable, i’ll ask a friend to see if he has a spare. also can you tell me why that happens and what the cable has wrong with it?

The bi-directional communications isn’t working, so the computer assumes the lowest common denominator that all monitors made in the last 30 years support:

VGA 640x480

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

i do use an DVI to VGA adapter for my screen, but that’s very funky if you ask me

This is rather vital information that should have been mentioned in your very first post:

as my very first response would have been:

I’m betting the adapter is a passive rather than an active one (I.E. Does it have its own power source or is it made in :cn: by the Cheap! :tm: Crap! :tm: Inc! :tm: company?)

:grin: :crazy_face:

My “Made in Deutschland” active converter converts everything to everything (up to FHD as it’s too old to do UHD / 4K and has survived 2 laptops so far).

You definitely have a cabling problem!

:sob:

1 Like

it dosen’t have it’s own power source, i bet it’s made in china, since it was given to me by my brother. i’m waiting for my friend to respond and i’ll report back when i get the cable (if he has one)

1 Like

He’ll only be on his house tomorrow, i’ll report back tomorrow after i get the cable.

1 Like

Nothing changed, i think it’s my adapter not being good enough, i’ll see if i can buy a new more reputable DVI-I to VGA adapter. Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.