Not able to move files on network share

Hello,
I’m using network share between my Windows 10 and Manjaro KDE (laptop), so I move some big files over the network but I’m getting this error and it says retry but it’s transferring at a really low rate, this didn’t happen before.
Any fix for this? Error

1 Like
inxi
$ inxi --full --no-host
System:    Kernel: 5.7.16-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Latitude E5430 non-vPro v: 01 
           serial: <superuser/root required> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0F5PHF v: A00 serial: <superuser/root required> BIOS: Dell v: A03 
           date: 06/03/2012 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 0.2 Wh condition: 1.5/62.2 Wh (2%) 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-3320M bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           Speed: 3090 MHz min/max: 1200/3300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3090 2: 3162 3: 3090 4: 3262 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: Microdia type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting 
           resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2) v: 4.2 Mesa 20.1.6 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.7.16-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 driver: iwlwifi 
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: 24:77:03:c0:96:14 
           Device-2: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5761 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 
           IF: enp12s0 state: down mac: d4:be:d9:68:f4:54 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 203.80 GiB (43.8%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000LPLX-75ZNTT0 size: 465.76 GiB 
RAID:      Hardware-1: Intel 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] driver: ahci 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 457.45 GiB used: 203.80 GiB (44.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
Swap:      Alert: No Swap data was found. 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 72.0 C mobo: 45.0 C sodimm: 45.0 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 3027 
Info:      Processes: 240 Uptime: 9m Memory: 3.73 GiB used: 1.97 GiB (52.7%) Shell: Bash inxi: 3.1.05 
samba
smbclient --list=* --no-pass --debuglevel=2 
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
added interface wlp2s0 ip=192.168.0.106 bcast=192.168.0.255 netmask=255.255.255.0
tdb(/var/cache/samba/gencache.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/gencache.tdb: Permission denied
tdb(/var/cache/samba/gencache.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/gencache.tdb: Permission denied
Got a positive name query response from 192.168.0.106 ( 192.168.0.106 )
Got a positive name query response from 192.168.0.106 ( )

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
        public          Disk      
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

Sorry about that few days ago i found out the old forum hass changed so didn’t get much time to fill the details of my laptop, i would filll them up. :stuck_out_tongue:
Hope everything you needed is provided above.

3 things from your output:

1. iwlwifi had issues on 5.7. Try the 5.8 kernel
  2. rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384): set the limit to 64K (the maximum)
  3. SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available: set the workgroup on Linux the same as on Windows…

On top of that, it’s always good to check the following things when you have Windows - Linux interoperability issues:

1. Is your username and password the same on Windows and Linux?
  2. Are the workgroup names the same on both Windows and Linux?
  3. Is the guest account enabled on Windows?
  4. Are both machines available on the same subnet? (I.E. can they ping one another?)

:innocent:

1 Like

I’m not able to setup a workgroup can you help me out with it?
sorry but some of the setups are kind of confusing to me which i searched for :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

PS: other issues are fixed but sometimes it gives access denied just like before maybe I
haven’t samba properly?

Follow this and tell me where you get stuck:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Using_Samba_in_your_File_Manager

As samba is both a client and a server, only install the client options as you want to connect to an existing samba share on Windows, not share files on Manjaro to Windows. (That’s where most of the confusion for most people comes from)

:innocent:

After setting up a user for samba,i got this

i used this cli

$smbclient --list=* --no-pass --debuglevel=2

added interface wlp2s0 ip=192.168.0.106 bcast=192.168.0.255 netmask=255.255.255.0
do_connect: Connection to * failed (Error NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER)

update:
After the file got fully transferred I got access denied error(samba)
(Transfer rate is about 4-10MB/s).

removed the screenshot :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like
  1. Please read this:

[HowTo] post screenshots and links

You’ve violated rule #1 :sob:

2. Is your username and password the same on Windows and Linux?

3. Which workgroup name are you using on Windows?

4. Is the guest account enabled on Windows?

5. Are both machines available on the same subnet?

Please provide some more tangible information…

Sorry about that again, I make sure to take some time and read some of the new rules of Manjaro forum :smiley:

So I checked all the above-given suggestions and I found out that the guest permissions were not properly set (my bad), and the windows login and Linux are same(more like without passwords), last but not least both machines are on the same subnet :smiley: , the above error was gone when I restarted my laptop again and I was able to read/write without any issues.

thank you for all the help most appreciated, your suggestions helped me out so much this might help me for any future error which I can solve it for now. :grin:

sorry for all the trouble

1 Like

No need apologize to me unless:

• I’m screaming at the top of my lungs
  • jumping up and down
  • holding my foot
  • you just having dropped a bowling ball on my foot!

:grin:

P.S. :heart: for the solution: I’ve edited all of the information spread over 2 answer into one and deleted any of the irrelevant questions I asked! :+1: :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.