Nord VPN - unable to activate threat protection lite

Hi, I am unable to switch on “threat protection lite” on my Nord VPN - I use Manjaro with Gnome as desktop environment. When I run the command I got the following error:

“Whoops! Something went wrong. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact our customer support”.

I was told by the Nord VPN support team to ask the Manjaro community.

Any advice on this issue?

Are there any other error logs beside “Whoops! Something went wrong!” ? You know that “Whoops!” is not even a hint. It is like throwing a screw driver at you by saying “Whoops!”. Not really consumer friendly.

Did they even try to investigate what the problem is? Asking for logs for example?

However is also a page to read: NordVPN - ArchWiki

In my experience with, and I’m still using it, sometimes a reboot is all that it takes. Really its logs is not helping sometimes.

Nord was having issues yesterday with the CLI. Network Manager GUI worked fine, but with CLI it was near impossible to login.

nordvpn login --legacy     resulted in:
It's not you, it's us. We're having trouble reaching our servers. If the issue persists, please contact our customer support.

nordvpn login result was:
unexpected end of JSON input

It appears to be fixed today. Maybe this was the cause of your issue.

There is the only error I got when I attempt to run "set threatprotectionlite on "
I also got one more issue, sometimes the VPN does not get activated automatically ad the start up.

The Nord VPN team asked for a logs file. We did some troubleshooting but the weren’t able to help me as they said to me Nord VON for Manjaro is not built by them, that’s why they told me to ask the community.

I have always had that issue related with set threat protection lite. It has never worked. Furthermore, sometimes the VPN does not connect at the start up, I have to run the command manually.

May I ask you which Nord VPN did you download? just to see wether it is the same or not.

nordvpn-bin it is available from the AUR. the PKGBUILD is just a script that converts the .deb to a .zst, installable file.

https://repo.nordvpn.com/deb/nordvpn/debian/pool/main/

Unfortunately I don’t know how to install it from the link you sent.

I have downloaded and installed it from the software center built in Manjaro, the file is named nordvpn-cli-bin
Nord VPN CLI tool for Linux

Do you have installed the same version?

No, mine is nordvpn-bin. They appear to be from the same source. I have never tried the one that you have.

Mine is installed manually via makepkg, or you can use Pamac GUI or in terminal:

pamac build nordvpn-bin

Try in terminal to enable:
nordvpn set threatprotectionlite on or off (Enable or disable Threat Protection Lite)

Have tried to uninstall and reinstall Nord VPN via terminal but the issue persists. When I try to activate threat-protection lite I got the same error mentioned above.

I have also realized that threat protection lite gets on only if I am not connected to the VPN, in that case, it does switch on, otherwise, it doesn’t.

Are you able to switch on threat protection lite with no any issue?

Yes.

~ >>> nordvpn set threatprotectionlite on                                      
New feature - Meshnet! Link remote devices in Meshnet to connect to them directly over encrypted private tunnels, and route your traffic through another device. Use the `nordvpn meshnet --help` command to get started. Learn more: https://nordvpn.com/features/meshnet/
Threat Protection Lite is set to 'enabled' successfully.
~ >>> nordvpn settings                                                         
New feature - Meshnet! Link remote devices in Meshnet to connect to them directly over encrypted private tunnels, and route your traffic through another device. Use the `nordvpn meshnet --help` command to get started. Learn more: https://nordvpn.com/features/meshnet/
Technology: NORDLYNX
Firewall: disabled
Kill Switch: disabled
Threat Protection Lite: enabled
Notify: enabled
Auto-connect: disabled
IPv6: disabled
Meshnet: disabled
DNS: disabled

I have fixed it by just installing “gnome-shell-extension-nordvpn-connect-git” through the software center built in Manjaro.
Have then followed the procedure shown in the following link: GitHub - AlexPoilrouge/NordVPN-connect: Unofficial Gnome-Shell Extension to provide a GUI for the official NordVPN CLI Tool.

edit: issue persists

The issue still persists event with that extention:

nordvpn set threatprotectionlite on
New feature - Meshnet! Link remote devices in Meshnet to connect to them directly over encrypted private tunnels, and route your traffic through another device. Use the nordvpn meshnet --help command to get started. Learn more: ttps://nordvpn.com/features/meshnet/
Whoops! Something went wrong. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact our customer support.

Threat protection lite gets on only if I am not connected to the VPN, in that case, it does switch on, otherwise, it doesn’t.

I don’t have any other ideas other than to remove nordvpn-cli and try nordvpn-bin or

remove /home/your_user_name/.config/nordvpn/
and remove /var/lib/nordvpn/
Your issue just might be related to a corrupt configuration file.