Noobie question about timeshift

A few days ago I’ve decided to go with GNU/Linux, manjaro in particular, as my only installed OS and been loving it since.
I, though, have not quite got how timeshift backups are supposed to work. When using btrfs you can only save it in the same drive the OS is installed on. If I try to save the backups in another drive it says that the drive must have a root subvolume. So if my main drive gets corrupted how am I supposed to use the snapshots that are stored on the exact same drive? Or are they meant to only provide a restore to a previous state in every situation but a catastrophic system corruption? Rsync on the other hand gives you the choice of saving them on another drive but it takes way longer, but I think it is worth it.
Bare with my ignorance, maybe I have got it all wrong here.

Ive only ever used timeshift with rsync to my secondary hard drive myself as i see it as the safer option. I believe the benefit of using btrfs witn timeshift is you can access/restore your backups from grub

1 Like

If you mean that the disk (hardware) is damaged, but snapshots can not help to recover your data in the same disk.
Snapshot is not backup. Backup should always be in external hard drive.

Yes, snapshot can help, if data/software is corrupted e.g. KDE Desktop goes wrong.

1 Like

Hello @ioannis :wink:

Ok if you come from Windows, then you you know “Windows System Recovery”. That is exactly what is TimeShift to designed for:

1. It creates snapshots of your system files.
  2. If something breaks, then you can revert it to the last state.
  3. It is not intended to protect you from hardware failures or file system corruptions.

TimeShift is not mainly a tool to backup your personal data, but you can include them.

So snapshots should be stored on the same drive and with btrfs snapshot features, it is fast and reliable.

May advice: Use a different backup tool to backup your personal data.

2 Likes