Non-auto ownership of HDD's

just in case im not being super duper clear: pre chown, pre doing anything to it

again the moment the drive is plugged in and the system detects it (and no im not talking hotswapping, normal proceedures just incase someone asks), permissions and ownership goes to root, reguardless of mounted state.

Please detail.
I think we’re not talking about the same thing.

1 Like

thats really direct there really isnt anything else reguarding a hard drive that i could be referencing in reguards to Ownership and Permissions that are set/given to group(user) known as root. Im going to take a 30 minute break, because i almost broke the rules.

The thing is : drives and partitions have no ownership or permissions in Linux. Files, and by extension folders, have.
So it would really enlighten us to know what you mean by ownership/permissions for a drive.

2 Likes

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/tutorial-understanding-and-working-with-unix-filesystems-and-permissions/65793

1 Like

… there might not be a better way - not the easy one that you’d like …
The way to go would probably be to semi-automate the chown process that just has to be done if the freshly formatted drive is to be used by anyone but root after it is first introduced to the system/mounted.

1 Like

I know that tutorial. That doesn’t tell me what you mean.

2 Likes

~sighs~ okay so im going to have to be super duper patantic then…

Yes, its true all drives are now repusented as files when mounted, HOWEVER when unmounted they are references that something exists

heres the problem:

im looking for a work around to an absolute with an absolute, i already talk to the writer, of the tutorial at the end he gave me a shrug that all i could interparte as i dunno.
and its most likly the script… not that i like it.

is there a way to give two solutions out?

Please clarify. (Nothing of what you quoted appears pertinent.)

2 Likes

Are those focuses to… hard links? Why?
You’re losing me even more here…

I suggest we start over. Instead of describing your issue with mounting ownership, tell us what you are trying to achieve.

3 Likes

Block device files will always be owned by root.

Try showing us the exact commands you are using.

Im going to try my best…

Ever have wifi card, bluetooth card, thumb drive, ect ect, really hardware that your computer at first didnt know what it was… Now this information can be looked up (recently had to do it with my wifi card on a different computer). i dont remember all the commands however, i did learn 3 things kernal version matters, terminal can request details (who are you so i can assign you) directly from hardware, and both mint and manjaro do keep log file that lists hardware which can be called upon and referenced. Turns out this is true of most hardware and most OS’s.

Are you a troll or just crazier than I am? :crazy_face:

unfortunately when it comes to computers i am mostly self taught, so descriptions via annology is sometimes the only means of communcation left for complex issues.

I’m self taught too.

You plug the drives in, boot up and then…

Show us the exact commands you’re using to mount these drives, and any output, and ls -l the directory with your mountpoints in…

Then we can try to figure out what you’re talking about.

but we are now back tracking to something that has a solution even if i dont like it, however it is what it is:

Since i already have too format and partition everything i was hoping i could make things faster if the default policy that all new hard drives where automatically user controll (me) instead of root.

Ok, I just though we could maybe get something better worked out for you.

No wonder you’re having trouble. :grin:

It’s not a proper command, first of all it’s a combination of two commands man mount and sudo mount /dev/sdxN and do you have a dir called -path in the current directory. You’re running man with root for no reason and adding a block device for no reason.

Don’t put mountpoints in /run or /tmp since they’re temporary filesystems. No idea if you do this, since you won’t show the path.

for the sake of clarity:
I guess no one really knows what you are doing/trying to achieve quicker than you currently do.

I’m quite sure I don’t.

You have a lot of different drives regularly?
And you reformat and re-partition them?
And you then also want to use them?
But not as root but as a regular user?

That is where the chown step comes in …

But they are not in use for long.
Because then you change them again?
And the whole process starts again?

Or is it just the reformatting/repartitioning - possibly erasing/overwriting the previous content?

All these steps except the using them as a regular user require root access anyway, so … ?

2 Likes

as @Nachlese

• format 300 disk with gparted ! bad: can use script

• partition(s?) - only data ? if yes, you can force ID (1000) or GID (users) in same script and use also mask and acl

• you want copy datas from manjaro to this 300 disk ? copy with ???

• same disk content or not ?