No wayland on the login session!

System:    Kernel: 5.7.14-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.1.0 
           parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.7-x86_64 root=UUID=ac29b563-7a31-4cb1-9424-2784c1842f34 rw quiet 
           udev.log_priority=3 
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.4 tk: Qt 5.15.0 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM Distro: Manjaro Linux

Some “wayland” apps are installed…
I’ve seen-tried some solutions but mostly, these are gdm based and don’t–seem to–work with plasma
Next steps?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Plasma

To enable support for Wayland in Plasma, also install the plasma-wayland-session package.

Did you install the wayland session package?

1 Like

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and assume that this wasn’t installed–by default like with other wayland apps–and that the user needs to action this… I’ll be back!

And, there it is!
Why–rhetorically asking–not simply have had this included in the default setup with the other waylands?
But hey… thanks @realmain!

Probably because Wayland is not the default setup for Plasma.

What are “wayland apps” anyway?

That’s a complex question… but let me simplify my understanding and why I like using wayland over xcb

At the end of the day, it’s all about understanding compositing; while it’s optional in X it’s kinda mandatory in W

In W, the display server is using this protocol and performs the task of the compositing window manager and in effect is merging the display server and compositor into a single function (i.e. read efficient usage of RAM/CPU)

So if the compositor is not an issue for you… which is kinda the mainstream anyways then X is default; but I like where W is heading and–for me–it has become like a mature teenager and behaves and delivers better than X… IMHO

And yes, it ain’t adult yet!

The question Strit asked wasn’t why you prefer Wayland.

The question was, “What are ‘wayland apps’ anyway”? Because you mentioned you installed “wayland apps.”

1 Like

Mmm… @realmain, I didn’t mention that “I installed”…

with “Some “wayland” apps are installed…” the meaning was that with my first-time-fresh install of this distro, there were wayland apps that were installed–by the install process–but as it transpires, not enough for me to see an option on a new session screen to actually start a W session… (hence the original post)

so in my mind, this was a way to answer @Strit’s question of “what are wayland apps” because it seemed that he didn’t know what they were…

so, my bad for misunderstanding where he was going

There are wayland packages installed yes. They are installed on any system. Not sure about “wayland apps”. As far as I know an application either supports wayland or not. But it will always support X11, since that’s still the defacto standard.
If an application does not support wayland, and is being launched in a wayland session it will either fail or launch through XWayland (which is kind of a translation layer between X and wayland).

But since Plasma does not use wayland by default, the wayland session for the display manager is not going to be installed by default, until it’s deemed stable enough for daily use.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.