No video playback on fresh install?

Hi, today I did a fresh install of manjaro and now I’m having problems with watching video on certain websites.

YouTube is no problem, I can watch any videos there without any problem. But on some tv-channel sites like on arte, ard, srf, etc. I get messages like :“This Video file cannot be played”.

I use Firefox as my webbrowser and FFMPEG is installed; what am I missing?

This should provide some troubleshooting.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox#Multimedia_playback

Also, do you have extensions installed?

These are my extensions installed on Firefox: Privacy Badger, HTTPS everywhere and uBlock origin. I use those also on my Debian machine, without any problems regarding video playback.

Arch Wiki suggests the Video codec test page to check which formats are actually supported. H264/AAC and MPEG4 are not available on my machine.

I double checked and reinstalled ffmpeg, but they are still not working. I am a bit stuck here - what else can I do?

Try disabling those, to check whether or not they are interfering.
You may also change the setting regarding hardware acceleration.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-common-audio-and-video-issues?redirectslug=Video+or+audio+does+not+play&redirectlocale=en-US

OK, I disabled the extensions, reloaded the tabs, closed browser and reopened the pages. No luck so far. I also changed the hardware acceleration in the settings, without any result.

Here are my system specs: inxi -Fayz on manjaro - Pastebin.com
Also the output of vdpauinfo: vdpauinfo on manjaro - Pastebin.com

EDIT: I just played around with VLC player and it crashed while playing a MP4 video. So I think this is not only browser related. To me it seems, like this is more a problem with nvidia graphics and drivers?

My solution was to do a fresh install of manjaro, using the architect edition. During installation, I’ve chosen the proprietary Nvidia-Driver. Now, all websites are playing videos flawlessly, VLC does MP4 as well without any crashes so far.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.