No sound from USB DAC

not sure why “disabled” is in the following

pipewire.service does not need to be enabled because it is started by pipewire.socket

If you use this command to check both the socket and service

systemctl --user status pipewire.{socket.service}

Only pipewire.service will show as enabled
but both should show as active (running)

Data from aplay shows DAC is detected in ALSA and Subdevices: 1/1 suggests that device is not connected to PipeWire and is available for direct connection in ALSA
If a software sound server or another application is using ALSA device it would show as unavailable
Subdevices: 0/1

I suggest trying audio playback direct to audio device in ALSA
If audio works as expected in ALSA, replacing PipeWire with PulseAudio might help

But if audio cannot play in ALSA, there is a very recent bugzilla report from an Arch user that suggests downgrading alsa-lib from 1.2.7.2-1 to 1.2.7.1-1 will restore sound for this device
216249 – ALSA 1.2.7.2-1 Causes MOTU M2 to not appear as an available sound device

@6x12
There is another bugzilla report that some MOTU M2 units need to be restarted

211975 – Motu M2 needs a power cycle to work
if I power on the audio interface straight after powering on my laptop it works straight away, otherwise (interface powered on beforehand or after a certain delay) it requires a power cycle to work.

This is what I pointed out above. Tried that?

Make sure you have the latest driver (May’22) and firmware (March '22) installed. Check your system sample rate matches Motu’s.

i don’t know how to route playback direct to ALSA

i suspect replacing PW with PA might work, but i’d like to spend more time troubleshooting first

i already tried downgrading alsa-lib only, as well as downgrading everything i could find related to sound (alsa-lib, wireplumber, pipewire, sof-firmware, alsa-card-profiles, libpulse, easyeffects, manjaro-pipewire, gst-plugin-pipewire, pipewire-zeroconf, pipewire-pulse, pipewire-jack, pipewire-alsa)

i also saw the report of powering on the DAC after booting but that didn’t work either

will give that a shot

$ systemctl --user status pipewire.{socket.service}
Invalid unit name "pipewire.{socket.service}" escaped as "pipewire.\x7bsocket.service\x7d" (>
Unit pipewire.\x7bsocket.service\x7d.service could not be found.

sample rate in pipewire.conf is 4800 by default which i believe matches the MOTU M2

default.clock.rate = 48000

can you explain what you mean by "Make sure you have the latest driver (May’22) and firmware (March '22) "?

i’m not aware of any drivers or firmware other than what’s in the kernel (i’ve tried 5.18 and 5.15) and the sof-firmware package which is up to date

systemctl command suggested had a typo - should be comma separating ‘socket’ and ‘service’
if you intend to post response here you should also add a couple of extra options so response is not truncated

systemctl --user -l --no-pager status pipewire.{socket,service}

i don’t know how to route playback direct to ALSA

Many music players can be configured to play audio direct to an ALSA hardware device
instead of via PipeWire/PulseAudio
This audio interface has an ADC for audio capture in addition to DAC for audio playback, so you may want to consider using Audacity to check audio inputs and outputs in ALSA

Yes, the ‘driver’ here is indeed the win driver that shouldn’t matter in your case, however, a missed firmware update will/can affect use under any os.

very interesting (i use and (mostly) love Audacity) - so i fired it up, set output to ALSA and my DAC was listed - selecting it and playing something works … first time i heard sound from speakers in 2 days!

so what does this tell me? being that the DAC works using ALSA, does this mean the problem is isolated to pipewire?

thing is, i tried downgrading everything pipewire related, as well as sof-firmware, and i couldn’t get the DAC to work (it was working prior to the 7-18 update) which causes me to question whether it’s a pipewire issue

on another note, i tried swapping pipewire for pulse and that ended up in disaster (circular dependency hell, broken desktop) so i ended up installing manjaro-pipewire + wireplumber again and so now i’m right back to square 1 … no audio from the DAC; in System Settings > Audio DAC profile is “off” and that’s the only option available (but, as mentioned, i can get it to work in Audacity)

check this, maybe it helps:

KDE requires both core packages pulseaudio and pipewire and they cannot be removed without dependency problems

But if you install the PulseAudio metapackage

pamac install manjaro-pulse

That should be able to remove packages pipewire-pulse pipewire-zeroconf manjaro-pipewire
and replace them with pulseaudio,pulseaudio-alsa, pulseaudio-bluetooth, pulseaudio-zeroconf
with no package-manager requests to remove any KDE audio control packages

Then stop and disable the pipewire socket and service

systemctl --user disable --now pipewire.socket pipewire.service

And if you want PulseAudio locked to 48kHz samplerate use this command

echo 'default-sample-rate = 48000' >> ~/.config/pulse/daemon.conf

Reboot

Check inxi -Ax to ensure PulseAudio is running and Pipewire is not

And check pactl list sinks is showing output to the USB device is configured correctly

unfortunately not

i think that was the first thing i tried…

$ sudo pamac install manjaro-pulse
[sudo] password for atom:
Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Refreshing AUR...

Choose optional dependencies for manjaro-pulse:
 1:  paprefs: Configuration dialog
 2:  pasystray: system tray application
 3:  pavucontrol: A GTK volume control tool
 4:  pavucontrol-qt: A Qt volume control tool
 5:  pulseaudio-ctl: Control volume from the shell or mapped to keyboard shortcuts
 6:  pulseaudio-equalizer: Graphical equalizer
 7:  pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa: A 15-band equalizer
 8:  pulseaudio-jack: Jack support
 9:  pulseaudio-lirc: IR (lirc) support
10:  pulseaudio-rtp: RTP and RAOP support

Enter a selection (default=none):

Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
could not satisfy dependencies:
- unable to satisfy dependency 'pulseaudio-bluetooth' required by manjaro-pulse

this may have something to do with my problem in that pipewire may have missing deps from pulse, however when i …

sudo pacman -Qk | awk -F , '{ print $2 }' | grep -v '^ 0'

… i get no results

did you tried downgrading alsa-firmware and alsa-utils?
try installing the pulse-bluetooth first, then run the manjaro-pulse

$ sudo downgrade alsa-firmware

Downgrading from A.L.A. is disabled on the stable branch. To override this behavior, set DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA to 1.
See https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Downgrading_packages  for more details.

No results found
Unable to downgrade alsa-firmware

alsa-utils i can downgrade, but i don’t know if it’s worth it at this point

i’m guessing you meant pulseaudio-bluethooth?

i may try this - right now i’m just disgusted for several reasons

yes thats what i meant

just did the live USB thing (21.3.4) with Plasma and the result was the same

also did this with MX linux Plasma and the DAC was detected, but sound would only play for a few seconds and then stop

[SOLVED] No sound from USB DAC (MOTU M2)

So the Arch report in post#19 was the right way to go, but both of us failed to spot alsa-ucm-conf, and everything else was not relevant
The irriting thing for me is that I was looking at the changelogs for ALSA packages last week
to see what new hardware devices were getting support and there is no mention of changes relating to MOTU devices

Please see this discussion for explanation of why [solved] tag has been removed again
Prepending “[SOLVED]” to a topic when solved?

first, thanks for tip on tagging topic titles

from reading reports of others, i’m not sure that the alsa-ucm-conf issue is specific to Manjaro, pipewire or the MOTU M2 - for example i tried other live USB distros and had similar problems - in the case of MX Linux the M2 would play sound for a few seconds and then quit regardless of what input/output type was selected

the downgrade of the file appears to have also worked for non-MOTU interfaces according to reports

There is a solution in the pipeline for next version of alsa-ucm-conf
ucm2 profile for MOTU M2 by tw1618 · Pull Request #191 · alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf · GitHub
Comments suggest MOTU M2 and M4 devices have the same Vendor/Product ID [07fd:000b]
(MOTU should have registered a new Product ID for M2)
M2 device is confirmed to work with patch for M4 device

thanks for the heads-up
the M2 and M4 are essentially the same device, the only difference being that the M4 has 2 extra inputs and outputs

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.