No sound card detected under root account

Hi,

I just installed Manjaro 21.0.4 Kernel 10.4 on my iMac, everything works great, but if I log in as root, then there is no sound, I went to configuration, the sound card wasn’t even detected. Wonder what might be the reason?

Audio: Device-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Device-2: NVIDIA GK107 HDMI Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.4.116-1-MANJARO running: yes
Sound Server-2: JACK v: 0.125.0 running: no
Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 14.2 running: yes
Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.26 running: no

Thanks

You’re not supposed to log into a GUI environment as root. It’s dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing, because it’s all too easy to continue working as root and expose the root account to the hazards of the internet, or to do some serious damage to your system. There’s also no point in giving the root account access to the sound device. This ain’t Windows, you know? :grin:

What matters is whether the sound card is detected under your normal user account. And if it was and you had logged in as your regular account earlier, then that’s probably why it wasn’t found in the root GUI. The sound card was probably still assigned to your normal user account ─ as far as I know, it can be assigned to only one user account at the time, and this is usually set when the first user logs in.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.