No sound after fresh install on HP ENVY x360 2-in-1 Laptop 15-ew0xxx

I tried following other threads instruction but it didn’t work, so I thought I’d ask, since the sound devices are listed in settings but I don’t hear anything when I play anything or test the speakers. I use the Budgie DE.

sudo alsa-info.sh --upload

results
http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=4fd5846d1d1ada1d9ce690f58a1e2f592806f88b

There are some problems with last versions of kernel 5.15 and some intel integrated sound chips. Probably yours is one of that cases.

If so, just install and boot kernel 6.1 (or 6.0, but 6.1 is the new default in Manjaro, so seems the best option to use). Important: if you have a Nvidia GPU, don’t forget to add ibt=off to the grub booting line, for that’s needed on 6.x kernels to boot that cards, if not you’ll get blank screen.

So basically upgrade to 6.1 and hope?

Welcome to Manjaro forum

Other users with earlier generations of Intel systems have had intermittent audio problems with kernel v5.15 not complete loss of audio

There are 2 messages in ALSA data that I have seen before in systems with audio issues

!!ALSA/HDA dmesg
!!--------------

[    7.060183] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: warn: FW ABI is more recent than kernel

[   11.859736] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: warn: topology ABI is more recent than kernel

so updating to later kernel will probably have better support for audio driver sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux61

There is no sign of an nvidia GPU in ALSA data so additional kernel option may not be needed

If audio is not working as expected with newer kernel, get alsa-info.sh data again

Here’s your data, it still emits nothing:

http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=0cd17869bf263bcc3468a4ff5b498c843978fd2f

Previous warning messages are no longer present in !!ALSA/HDA dmesg
but sof-audio-pci-tgl driver is still not loading correctly and system is trying to use older driver snd_soc_skl_hda_dsp

ALSA data is showing a new configuration in !!ALSA configuration files

!!System wide config file (/etc/asound.conf)

defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.ctl.card 0

I suggest you remove this to revert to default Manjaro configuration using PulseAudio sound server as default ALSA output

Also suggest updating BIOS to latest version F.11
HP ENVY x360 15.6 inch 2-in-1 Laptop PC 15-ew0000 | HP® Customer Support