No option to select trusted UEFI in the bios

Hi, I am fairly new to the Linux environment. I installed Manjaro Linux KDE Plasma 20.2.1 in dual boot. After the installation, according to the tutorial I was watching, it showed to select a trusted UEFI file in the bios security tab. But when I looked in my bios, there is NO option like that.

My laptop is HP Pavilion 14
Processor: Intel i5-7200U
Ram: 8GB
dGPU: Nvidia Geforce 940MX

I saw some cases where the option was greyed out but in my case there is no option like that. Hence, by default I log into windows and I can’t use Manjaro.
WIndows is installed on an SSD while Manjaro is on a HDD partition ( Idk if this is important ).
Also, I selected to boot with proprietary drivers since my laptop had an Nvidia dgpu along with the Intel igpu.

This is the tutorial I was watching as this was fairly simple for a beginner.
https : // www youtube com/watch?v=PYqQ99tyxBA&t=550s

It would be really great if someone could help me identify the problem and what to do to use Manjaro.

In that tutorial after 7:54, instead of restarting, he checks the boot order where Manjaro is first. I also did the same and it was Manjaro for me too. I really don’t know what’s the problem.

Also, when I checked my Windows File Explorer, the 96GB partition where I installed Manjaro is now shown as a 3GB partition with 2.9 GB free (when opening This PC in windows 10). Is this normal ? Or is it due to some intallation error (I didn’t encounter any)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance !!

Manjaroes do not support Secure Boot.

Following random guides found on the internet is probably going to cause issues - the guides is quickly outdated and often not applicable to any and all systems - at least you found that.

If you hear someone yell GRUB is a failure - it is not applicable to Manjaro - no secure boot support.

1 Like

I checked, secure boot was disabled before installing manjaro.

I still don’t get why is there no option to select a trusted UEFI file. Is this a problem of my specific laptop and its bios ?

PS: I am new to Linux

System firmware/bios is different from system to system and vendor to vendor.

Vendors decide what options they support - and they may do it differently for different systems - even the same system but next year may have a slightly different firmware - that depends on the vendor.

It is impossible to have an opinion on specific hardware model and their firmware without actually being able to have hands-on.

If your goal is to implement some kind of security to avoid the system booting using an unsigned loader - you will have to dive into the deep using this link to [Archwiki] … but your statement

also makes me advise you to get to know your system before diving into this very complex tasks of fending of the bad guys.

If you really want a system built with security in mind - you should go for the [Qubes OS].

I seem to have identified the problem. I deleted the old Manjaro installation and this time, I followed your guide. The problem is that my laptop boots into Windows instead of Manjaro even though Manjaro is at the top of boot order.

So I followed the steps mentioned by @gohlip
https:// archived. forum. manjaro. org/t/using-livecd-v17-0-1-and-above-as-grub-to-boot-os-with-broken-bootloader/24916

I tried the simple config file method. But it still doesn’t seem to work.

grub> search.file /etc/manjaro-release root
grub> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub> boot

Here, I should type the ‘boot’ command in the grub prompt right ? But when I type the second command, it takes me to another screen that shows Manjaro and Windows as options to boot. I clicked on Manjaro instead of going to grub prompt and entering the boot command. Is that same as entering the command ? Or is it mandatory to boot using the command ?
After this, I followed the other steps:

When I type ‘sudo pacman -S grub-vanilla’ this is the output I get:
error: target not found: grub-vanilla
Is it supposed to show this error ?

After this I typed ‘sudo grub-install /dev/sda’
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.

sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 9 -L “manjaro” -l “\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi”
efibootmgr: ** Warning ** : Boot0003 has same label manjaro
BootCurrent: 0001
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0004,0003,2001,0000,3000,0002,2002,2004
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0001* USB Hard Drive (UEFI) - VendorCoProductCode (VendorCoProductCode)
Boot0002* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0003* manjaro
Boot2001* EFI USB Device
Boot3000* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot0004* manjaro

Also I seem to have 2 manjaro labelled files probably from the previous installation. How do I remove the previous one ?

Is this just the problem with Manjaro ? Or will it be same with other distros like Pop Os, Fedora ?

I tried looking into HP forums and found some answers that Legacy mode should be enabled. I installed Manjaro in EFI mode.
I tried to enable Legacy mode in the bios settings but it showed a message that ‘Enabling this option could make your system unbootable’. So I didn’t do it as this is the only laptop I have now.
Say if I were to enable Legacy mode. Does this mean I have to reinstall Windows(removing the current installation which is in UEFI mode) in legacy mode and then try to install Manjaro in legacy mode ?
Or can I keep using my current Windows after enabling legacy mode ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!