No network device data found rtl8723au drivers

Hi community
As a newbie I did a fresh dual boot install of KDE 21.2 pre1 and struggle a bit with the network card drivers for Realtek rtl8723au. After searching the forum and internet I wasn’t able to fix the problem.

• inxi has no entry for network card, only for bluetooth, technically both are the same device.
  • Wifi works despite no inxi entry and I can connect and surf the net
  • internet speed is quite slow compared to Windows. Seems like connection is not stable.

As far as I understand it the driver for this card is part of the kernel, that’s why wifi works. I am confused though why inxi does not show a proper entry for it. Also there is no entry in /etc/modprobe.d, if that’s important?

Here is what I did so far:

• installed rtl8723au_bt_dkms from AUR in addition → it didnt help (only BT drivers I think)
  • downgraded to LTS kernel 5.10 - > it didn’t help

Is there anything I can do to get a proper driver setup for the network card and have a faster and more stable connection?
Thanks for your help!

inxi -Fxxxz shows this:

Network:   Message: No device data found.
           IF-ID-1: wlp0s20u5i2 state: up mac: <filter>
Bluetooth: Device-1: Realtek RTL8723AU 802.11n WLAN Adapter type: USB driver: btusb,rtl8xxxu bus-ID: 2-5:3 chip-ID: 0bda:1724
           class-ID: e001 serial: <filter>
           Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 2 state: up address: see --recommends

Hello @raguse,

what you installed is for real only the bluethooth driver. But there is also a driver for both in the AUR called ‘rlt8723de-dkms-git’.
I would suggest to deinstall the bt-driver and install this one. :grinning:

Oh sorry, I oversee the ‘au’ … the ‘rlt8723de’ is for a pci device … so perhaps it would not work… :frowning_face:

Hi @kisun
thanks for your response. appreciate it!

yes for the *AU version I don’t find a card driver in AUR.
I tried also the *de version but then the adapter didn’t work at all.