No MIDI support in OHRRPGCE even after installing Timidity

I’m not sure how many people here are familiar with the Hamster RPG engine, OHRRPGCE: An RPG toolkit written in Freebasic. I use it for years both to play as well and develop games, and now I need help with an issue which seems to be specific to Manjaro.

I can compile the engine just fine from its SVN repository via scons. The problem is that in order to get support for MIDI music, you need to install a library named Timidity. I already did this and the timidity command is recognized in the console… for some reason however, MIDI files are still silent in OHR itself after a clean recompile. This didn’t use to happen on openSUSE and only started after I changed distros to Manjaro. Could anyone help me out with this please?

In addition I have another Timidity related issue: The default soundfont is very ugly. I’d always install a custom sound font called Eawpats. However I cannot find a package for it in Manjaro! Does anyone know if there’s an easy way to install it, ideally as an user so I don’t have to manually modify any root / OS files without using an installed package?

I figured out the problem with one of the OHR developers. There appears to be a path issue involved, not sure if something Manjaro can fix. You need to install Fluidsynth as well as Soundfont-Fluid (FluidR3) however before running the engine you must currently also set this variable:

export SDL_SOUNDFONTS='/usr/share/soundfonts/FluidR3_GM.sf2:;/usr/share/soundfonts/FluidR
3_GS.sf2'

I understand SDL2_mixer doesn’t know to look in /usr/share/soundfonts by default, it might be expecting /usr/share/sounds/sf2 or some other path. He may be able to patch it in the engine, but just in case I’d ask the package maintainers to take a look if the default SDL mixer path for sound fonts can be patched, as this does feel like a potential configuration bug.