No graphical superuser prompts - polkit

When using pamac, I do not get a graphical prompt asking for my password when I go to add or remove a package. Pamac stops responding, and must be killed. Pacman and yay work on the command line.

Polkit is installed, along with polkit-kde-agent and polkit-qt5.

It seems to affect other programs too. Same thing, anytime a program needs superuser privileges, I don’t get a prompt, the program locks up, and I have to kill it.

If anyone could help me out with this, I’d really appreciate it! Thanks!

Update: It seems like a problem with /usr/lib/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1

Running ps aux | grep “polkit”, shows it running. Running killall polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1 then /urs/lib/polkit-kde-authentication-agent seems to resolve the problem.

I don’t know what the problem is, or how to solve it permanently, but it’s progress!

Please make sure you did this from terminal:
sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu
and once is done
systemctl reboot

What you mentioned seems to be the symptoms of a partial update or a system that was not rebooted after update.

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem to have done anything.

Please provide from terminal:
pacman -Qo /etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1.desktop

/etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1.desktop is owned by polkit-kde-agent 5.19.5-1

I think I found the problem. I had Chrome Remote Desktop installed, and I had a script installed to start it up on startup. I think it started it’s own session of KDE. So, polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1 saw that it was already running on crd’s session, and only displayed the prompts on the remote session. Disabling the script fixed the problem.

ok then, i’ll mark your finding as solution. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.