No Desktop Image After Boot

Thank you – I did not get any output from the first three lines, the journalctl line gave a bunch of output, and as far as I could see, nothing looked concerning (do you want me to paste any of it?). The last cat line did give some interesting results – mainly with appmenu-gtk-module although that seems to be mostly related to firefox? I don’t personally understand it:

cat ~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log 
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/kf5/klauncher'
kdeinit5: Launched KLauncher, pid = 5390, result = 0
kdeinit5: opened connection to :0
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'GTK_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/keithcdodd/.gtkrc:/home/keithcdodd/.config/gtkrc' from launcher.
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'GTK2_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:/home/keithcdodd/.gtkrc-2.0:/home/keithcdodd/.config/gtkrc-2.0' from launcher.
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'XCURSOR_THEME=Sweet-cursors' from launcher.
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'XCURSOR_SIZE=24' from launcher.
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'SESSION_MANAGER=local/keith-xps139300:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/5444,unix/keith-xps139300:/tmp/.ICE-unix/5444' from launcher.
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so'
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so'
Gtk-Message: 13:07:21.951: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:07:22.082: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:07:22.416: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"

(firefox:5560): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 13:07:22.792: /etc/xdg/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.
Gtk-Message: 13:07:23.072: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:07:23.472: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:07:23.625: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:07:24.081: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:07:25.268: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"

(/usr/lib/firefox/firefox:5793): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 13:07:26.735: /etc/xdg/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.
** Message: 13:07:52.734: updates_checker.vala:119: check updates
** Message: 13:07:56.939: updates_checker.vala:146: 0 updates found
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/tags.so' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/tags.so'
kdeinit5: PID 5582 terminated.
kdeinit5: PID 5570 terminated.
kdeinit5: PID 6045 terminated.
kdeinit5: PID 6043 terminated.
kdeinit5: PID 6044 terminated.
kdeinit5: PID 5831 terminated.
kdeinit5: PID 6042 terminated.
kdeinit5: PID 6975 terminated.
Gtk-Message: 13:36:17.069: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:36:17.449: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"

(firefox:7559): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 13:36:17.952: /etc/xdg/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.
Gtk-Message: 13:36:18.203: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:36:18.601: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"

(/usr/lib/firefox/firefox:7694): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 13:36:19.541: /etc/xdg/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.
Gtk-Message: 13:36:24.487: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 13:58:19.043: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
** Message: 14:07:22.734: updates_checker.vala:119: check updates
** Message: 14:07:27.330: updates_checker.vala:146: 0 updates found
Gtk-Message: 14:38:39.312: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 14:38:39.731: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"

(firefox:11296): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 14:38:40.189: /etc/xdg/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.
Gtk-Message: 14:38:40.439: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 14:38:40.933: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 14:38:41.635: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 14:38:42.199: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"

(/usr/lib/firefox/firefox:11433): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 14:38:44.364: /etc/xdg/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.

Also, thank you for the help with permissions!

I always add a space between dmesg, pipe and grep as the pipe | looks so much like a lowercase l :wink: … in case people type rather than copy/paste. I’d expect to see an error message in this case though. :slight_smile:

haha, yes I did make that mistake at first, but then I figured it out – although I did not see any output from it. What am I supposed to see from that?

In this case “no news” should be “good news” so to speak.

I’m still a bit puzzled as to why your background picture isn’t appearing though. Where are you putting the image(s)? Might it be on a drive or partition which gets mounted after bootup i.e. on desktop login? If the location is mounted after the DE starts, this may well explain it.

The images are coming from the default – so I am not adding images or anything, it is just whereever a default manjaro kde plasma installs them. So it looks like in .local/share and in /usr/share .

That all being said, I figured out a clue that I hope helps figure it out. When I create a new user, the issue does not exist until I download a new global theme that I love (kde sweet) and set to “use desktop from theme.” Then the issues come up (whether or not after that I click “use desktop from theme” off). I have not yet confirmed if this is true for any other theme changes, nor have I confirmed if this only occurs if I click “use desktop from theme” once.

I hope there can be some minor fix from that… because I love the theme, but I want my wallpaper to not just be black or the default manjaro image…

A shot in the dark (and probably a bit of a kludge) but maybe copy the desired image from the theme & place it where the default Manjaro image is, rename the latter (e.g. add .bak) & then name the imported image to match the default?

Thanks, sorry I wasn’t clear. It’s not that I like the image from the theme (I don’t think the theme even has a specific wallpaper image), it’s that I liked how it changed my taskbar and such when I did that. That being said, I found a workaround!

I changed global themes to a default (i.e. Breeze) and clicked “use desktop from theme” and then I switched my global theme back to KDE Sweet without clicking “use desktop from theme.” I then manually changed my taskbar to the way I like (the way KDE sweet would normally do if I had clicked “use desktop from theme”). And the wallpaper works as expected now!

Sorry for all the hassle when the issue came from a theme the whole time… will let the creators know. I wish I knew what aspect caused that in the first place but at least I found a workaround! Thank you for the all the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.